Regarding My Tank Set Up (All Juveniles Bar One)

Xcitz

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question to fellow African fish keepers.
I have always been in to keeping fish (discus and such) and finally bought a tank a couple of months ago for an African species.
When I bought the tank, the guy who was selling had 11 Red Zebra and 5 Auratus with it.
Since then I have bought babies of:
Dragons Blood x3
Yellow Labs x3 juveniles and one larger
Lombardi x3
Red shoulder Peacock x2
Peacock (Unsure of what type)x3
Apache Peacocks x3
Red Obliquins x3
Elongatus Mpanga x4
Zebra Obliquin x1
Now I know this seems alot of fish for 200Litres, but the plan is to sell / give away a few of these (like 7 or 8 Red Zebras for example) when they start to colour up to see if males / females

What i'm wondering though, do any of these "clash" so to speak?. I have heard of problems of yellow labs and red zebras cross breeding.
Also, how many should be kept when they are fully grown in a tank of 200 litres?.

On a final note, I really like the Altolamp Calvus, would this breed be ok with the ones I already have? (finally found a shop that sells them juenile but £12 each)
Many thanks,
Paul

Oh if it helps, my filter is suitable for 600 litre tank, the tnak itself is Fluval Roma 200

Dragons Blood x3
Red shoulder Peacock x2
Peacock (Unsure of what type)x3
Apache Peacocks
these are all Aulonocara and will quite possilbly cross breed also if your buying babies with the exception of the dragons you wont know which is which in regards to females

btw?

what is an Apache Peacock?

lol found out its a trade name for http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=653

http://www.cichlids.com/pictures/pic/sulferhead_apache_peacock-2.html basically a sulpher head with the name Apache Peacock it seems.

Would the breeding between the different types of Peacocks be a problem ?

As regards to knowing about females and such, its why we bought a few of each, let them colo0ur up then keep one male to two females and such, if it means buying a certain female / male to go with what I have

peacocks or aulonocara are one of the most stunning fish from lake malawi imo, the males are very easy to distinguish but the females look very similar making them almost impossible to tell apart this iis where to trouble starts all malawi cichlids will interbreed especially aulonocara as they are so similar and allowing more than one type in a tank to cross is massivley detrimental to the hobby if you pass the fry on and can quite often leave very odd looking fish in your tank if you keep them.
my advice would be go for one big group of one type of them or all males :good:

the peacocks are going to suffer greatly with the lombardi, zebras, and auratus. the labs should be fine with them, but i would choose if i wanted to go with peacocks/haps or mbuna.

Most reactions

Back