Reef Powerhead?

Sea Turtle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What is a good powerhead for my 80 gallon reef tank. I have 1020 gal/hr returning from the sump. Do I need to put an additional powerhead into the tank itself and if so what brand is good and what power?

If its just for water circulation why not try the new Koralia pumps, they are getting great reviews of late and have the added bonus of low power consumption.

you want a 20-30x turnover so you may need a few powerheads in the tank. go for the seio, tunze or hydor koralias, powerheads that move water around instead of firing it out in a stream, use less electricity but cost a little more!

i swear by my hydor koralia... and yeah look at 20 - 30 times the tank volume, the koralia 4 with your sump pump would give you 27.75 times turn over rate. the koralia 3 with your sump pump would give you 23.375 times turn over rate.

tunze streams are smaller than koralias and use less electricity, but ive heard of them pumping the wrong way or something. They both have there benefits i think.

u mean like 20x how many litres are in ur tank?? .... thats a formula right there. i think :p

Ok. Thanks. I really did like the koralia. I think that maybe I will put 2 of them in my tank. Are these good to put one low and one high in the tank. In other words, what is the best positioning for them?

i have one higher n one lower in my tank, just so i ensure flow gets around everwhere, u want to ensure u get flow all around to clear out deadspots in live rock :)

2x 800 gal would prb be enough cus that wud be 20x if my maths ability is correct :p and with ur sump too thats like upto 30+ which is all good.

no probs get them off ebay there like 35 quid or sumin :p im getting 2 soon!!! for main n nano :good: or if u can find them cheaper tell me !!!!

Most reactions

Back