Reed/rope Fish And Senegal Bichir Compatibility?

indigoj

sic itur ad astra
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I have a 14" Reed/Rope Fish and 3x 5" Senegal Bichir (1 is being rehomed soon) will they be compatibe in a 350l tank? It will be heavily planted at both ends with masses of bog wood to hide in.

Thanks.

Yep, no problems. We find birchirs are not the devastating hunters they are said to be and `stumble amongst food` rather than hunt it down at speed. I am sure thye will be perfectly compatible

Just as a precautionary note, dont be fooled into thinking their poor sight will stop them, they are predators and will if the feeling arises hunt. Ive had my Senegal since he was 2" and is now nearing 6" and had ever touhced anything else in the tank.

Until

I came into the room where the tank is to find a rather large Cory missing its tail, dorsal fine and a pectoral fin, accompanying this carnage was a rather fetching red gash on his head....

so beware.

I have 3 reedfish with the following bichirs
1 ornate, 1 poll's, 1 palmas and 1 laperadi
all a fine together

Just as a precautionary note, dont be fooled into thinking their poor sight will stop them, they are predators and will if the feeling arises hunt. Ive had my Senegal since he was 2" and is now nearing 6" and had ever touhced anything else in the tank.

Until

I came into the room where the tank is to find a rather large Cory missing its tail, dorsal fine and a pectoral fin, accompanying this carnage was a rather fetching red gash on his head....

so beware.
Isnt that kind of your fault for keeping a predator like a bichir with small fish like corys?

Until

so beware.
Isnt that kind of your fault for keeping a predator like a bichir with small fish like corys?

Not really, as i was under the impression that a 2-2.5" Cory with a 6" Bichir would be fine as the Cory is way to big for the Bichir to eat. The Cory's head is much larger than the bichirs and overall i thought they would be fine for a while yet.

Until

so beware.

thats to be expected, keeping Bichir with Cory, no suprises with the outcome

Until

so beware.

Not really, as i was under the impression that a 2-2.5" Cory with a 6" Bichir would be fine as the Cory is way to big for the Bichir to eat. The Cory's head is much larger than the bichirs and overall i thought they would be fine for a while yet.
hah, Ive seen my bichirs fit stuff in their mouth 3 times their size (frozen krill comes to mind). Also when I feed frozen beefheart to my jack, my bichir will even tyr to eat that which is as easily 4-5 times as big as his head.

Not trying to argue with you, just seems like that wouldnt be a good idea from the start.

Drew

My old senegalus never touched corys.......Or anything armored(Raphaels, ancistrus) How strange......

But it is true that because of their poor eyesight, they sniff a few times and do a test bite, which is sometimes rather hard.

Most reactions

Back