Redtailed Catfish Query

Bomag

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Now then people how are we sorry to bother you but a quick bit of advice would be nice....

My new tropical pond is due to be built for my redtailed catfish (bruce) and my niger catfish, what i am after is finding out what other tank mates if any could i keep with these other fish please top swimmers if poss ,,,,, i thought maybe a large gar, large arowana .

any sugestions are most welcome but please dont mention tank size as it will be a large pond not tank.
many thanks for your time Andy :thumbs:

:band: :kana: :kana: :p

Maybe some more larger Catfish or Predators/Oddballs over 24", like Arowanas and Gars.

I would go for robust species such as other large cats, maybe a large silver arowana, but keep an eye on them as my RTC used to chase my arowana I had, but not to eat it, just for fun so I had to take the arowana out in the end. I tried a 13" midas cichlid with mine a few weeks back and he made a grab for it but just missed so that had to come out. I used to keep mine with a large clarias but the clarias would probably have to come out when the red tail gets larger. just make sure that any fish that go in are large and robust and keep an eye on them for the first hour or so just to make sure.

ste :)

RTC's have a habbit of eating arowana's due to their long slim body shape so i wouldnt recomend them as tankmates. Generally anything that is the roughly the same size as the RTC and has a large profile will avoid becoming a snack, you could try a few black pacu.

CFC said:
RTC's have a habbit of eating arowana's due to their long slim body shape so i wouldnt recomend them as tankmates. Generally anything that is the roughly the same size as the RTC and has a large profile will avoid becoming a snack, you could try a few black pacu.
CFC has made a good point, I have seen quite a few display tanks with Black Pacu and the odd huge RTC in Aquariums. :thumbs:

thanks to everyone for there replys its very good of you after all we all love keeping fish even if some of us do go to far, but hey so what if we do .

and also just a quick note as you will see have only just recentally found this forum and i would just like to say how good and friendly it is well done to everyone concerned for making this a nice place to meet
:D
think when it is finished i will have rtc and niger catfish i have and poss only poss my marble catfish subject to it being of the right size and that it will not get bullied

just a quick question also please :rolleyes: how long will it take for mine two get say to two foot/ three foot please if he is about 7"-8" @ the mo cheers

well, I got mine when he was 10" and he's now 25" after 2 1/2 years. I had him in a small tank for a while and then moved him into the 260 gallon tank where he put about 4" on in the first 4-6 months and slowed back down again. The shop had kept him for 2 years before that since he was just 1.5" long.

ste :)

Most reactions

Back