Redmoor Wood White Fungus

Lolly123

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

as the title said ive got fungus on my redmoor wood that has developed over past few days. The wood was soaked and had 2 or 3 full kettles of boiling water over it as well as hot water from the tap. It feels kinda slimy and looks fluffy.

Ive had sooo much trouble keeping the wood down and ive just finished putting the plants in which was a nightmare, so I really dont want to have to take it out as all the rocks are in place to keep it on the gravel bed. Can i get it off with a unused toothbrush?

Thing is I plan to add my fish later today and I dont want to risk it being harmful.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hi guys,

as the title said ive got fungus on my redmoor wood that has developed over past few days. The wood was soaked and had 2 or 3 full kettles of boiling water over it as well as hot water from the tap. It feels kinda slimy and looks fluffy.

Ive had sooo much trouble keeping the wood down and ive just finished putting the plants in which was a nightmare, so I really dont want to have to take it out as all the rocks are in place to keep it on the gravel bed. Can i get it off with a unused toothbrush?

Thing is I plan to add my fish later today and I dont want to risk it being harmful.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

just take it out and scrub in hot water, again.

Hi guys,

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

just take it out and scrub in hot water, again.
Taking it out would be a lot of hard work on top of what ive already done, as i mentioned above. I'd ideally like to leave it in place, but would like to know if it will be detrimental to my fish?

Are you sure it's a fungus?

If it is a clear or white colored swaying "halo" this an algae, and anc. Bristle nose will clear it up, it can also go away by itself once it starves itself out. I had the same problem with my driftwoods, one of which was months established in the store with an anubias on it, it developed no white fungus looking algae until I introduced it into my tank, but the bristle nose took care of it.. I can also confirm that removing it, scrubbing it, reboiling it and putting it back in the tank will achieve the same result, as will dozing the driftwood with flourish excel (no change,, keeps growing back). The bristle nose pair that I have are taking care of the situation until it starves itself out..

Are you able to attach a picture, so i can see what it looks like?

I cannot attach a picture from my iPad until i get home and use the PC..

Most reactions

Back