Red Tail Shark - White Sides And Puffy

I just noticed that the white area seems kind of crusty/flaky in spots... I wonder if something is healing?

Okay all, here are three more pictures that show his scales better. I think I am going to treat with Pimafix. I dunno, it just looks like fungus (and Pimafix also has antibacterial) to me and I'm getting anxious. His behavior has improved slightly in the past several days, but his scales haven't changed much. His bent tail also hasn't changed. If anyone disagrees with this treatment, please let me know!

6528467677_db9006a02b_b.jpg

6528459101_63e8bc2d94_b.jpg

6528459069_9fa57e8f6b_b.jpg

Pimafix is an anti-bacterial and I expect is unlikely affect fungus, which is what this looks like.

I used THIS and it worked a treat. Within three days the white had gone from my BN catfish and he is healthy as you like now two months on.

The front of my Pimafix bottle reads "Antifungal fish remedy - All Natural, extracted from west indian bay trees - rapidly treats fungal infections on fish." On the back it reads, "Benfits: A safe all natural way to treat a broad range of fungal fish infections. Also treats internal and external bacterial infections." It goes on, "When to use: Pimafix treats: Fungus or cottony growth, mouth and body fungus, and reddening of fins and body." So it sounds to me like it has both, right?

So this still looks exactly like what your BN catfish had?

The front of my Pimafix bottle reads "Antifungal fish remedy - All Natural, extracted from west indian bay trees - rapidly treats fungal infections on fish." On the back it reads, "Benfits: A safe all natural way to treat a broad range of fungal fish infections. Also treats internal and external bacterial infections." It goes on, "When to use: Pimafix treats: Fungus or cottony growth, mouth and body fungus, and reddening of fins and body." So it sounds to me like it has both, right?

So this still looks exactly like what your BN catfish had?

My apologies. Just re-read the spec and yes, it treats fungal infections too.

My BN had a very similar white streak down one side, I noticed it as I was moving him to a new tank. I didn't put him in but took him back to the old tank wherein I treated him with Interpet Anti-fungal and within three days the white had gone and I left him another four days before moving him to the new tank. That was about two months ago and he is still fine.

Again, your fish does appear to have the same problem. Don't forget to remove any carbon filtration when you use your Pimafix otherwise it will be useless.

I do wonder about these 'all-natural' [as it says on the specs] products though. I like my chemical treatments manufactured as they have been produced with a specific purpose in mind.

No worries, thanks for all the information. I appreciate your replies.

I read more about Pimafix and it says that it's best used when combined with Melafix anyway, so I'm giving the two a go. The downsides I've read about is a potential decrease in oxygen and I think I can compensate for that. The spray bar on my Eheim 2213 disturbs the surface a great deal and I can turn the air pump hooked to my sponge filter up a lot.

Fingers crossed!

Edit: Yes, removed the carbon layer from the filter canister. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that, at least you tried.

Most reactions

Back