Red Slate With Gray Specks

celaeno

Arkangel
Reaction score
after my trouble in determining whether red shale was aquarium safe, i now have another problem with the piece of red slate i just bought.

it has some little gray specks on both surfaces. is it safe to use in my aquarium?

ps it looks very similar to the red shale which the-wolf said could not be used.

after my trouble in determining whether red shale was aquarium safe, i now have another problem with the piece of red slate i just bought.

it has some little gray specks on both surfaces. is it safe to use in my aquarium?

ps it looks very similar to the red shale which the-wolf said could not be used.

Any pics?

hi

pour vinegar over it if it fizzes - dont put in the tank

otherwise i err on side of caution and buy only "aquarium safe" stones -(thats if they are labelled as so - as i would imagine non-safe are mis-sold

thanks for the reply. the gray specks are slightly reflective, if that helps.

It's probably just regular slate with some sort of crystaline impurity.
If it *is* slate, use it. The chances of those impuritys being somehow dissolvable, and toxic to your tank are approaching zero. Of course you dont know that it's safe, but, i wouldnt worry about meteors destroying your aquarium either, right?

well in that case then - such an aloof comment - chuck any stone in mate!!!!

forget the testing to see IF it COULD do any harm > then ooops what if it does!!???

anyway make up your own mind - if u think it'll e ok then add it if not > test.

Most reactions

Back