Red Oscar

put them in a filtered, cycled aquarium according to the "1g per 1 inch of small fish" rule. keep them completely isolated for no less than 2 weeks and preferably 3-4 weeks. do not add any additional fish during this period or you will need to restart the two weeks. take this time to feed high-nutrition, high-quality pellets or flakes. i always recommend feeding spirulina as a health supplement for any fish.

I used to feed mine earthworms, it went mad for them!! Used to jump clean out the water & take them from me. :lol:

essentially all carnivorous fish will eat any other fish that will fit in their mouths; this does not mean that fry and small tetras necessarily compose a large portion of their diet in the wild. my understanding is that wild oscars primarily eat inverts and, as tolak mentioned, the very occasional smaller fish.

oscars are great big toughies and not exactly designed to chase and consume swift things like schooling fish. they are also too active to be ambush predators and don't have the unusually large mouth common to many piscavores. if they can get a fish, they'll eat it, but that doesn't make them specialized piscavores.
I didnt say that it did, I mearly said i thought they were partly piscivorous - the other being carnivorous. Why would a fish be classed as piscivorous & carnivorous if, infact, it was only a carnivorous fish that just ate small fish? If you do a Google you will see Oscars fish listed as piscivorous/carnivorous. I dont mean to sound rude but i was just interested when you said "oscars are not fish-eaters by nature", when infact they are listed as something that is partly piscivorous :blink:

PICA NUTALLI?

Most reactions

Back