Red Jewel

beechey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Seen one of these fort they looked stunning , would they mix with sevs and firemouth ... how big do they get , can I have just one ?

Hi, you probably already know Jewel's are African. I had one (in the days when I made many mistakes through too little research). As you say, beautiful fish. However, they can be VERY aggressive. Mine was fine for about 18 months & then wiped out everything in the tank. Generally the Red Jewels will accept peacock cichlids, certain African cichlids. They are very aggressive towards New World Cichlids even Green Terrors & Jack Dempseys. If you get a pair that breed, they will kick the snot out of anything. Tough fish. You might get away with getting a pair & putting Congo tetras in with them.
As for your question. If your Sevs are mature, you might get away with it, but as soon as the firemouth has a go bluffing at the Jewel (which it probably will), the Jewel will have it.
Stunning fish though.

Good luck :)

Yeah realised after I posted I did it in wrong section , when lookef up fish sectiom it just said jewel cichlid not red jewel

Stunning fish but an absolute nightmare - unless you can dedicate the tank to them forget it...

Jewels would do best in a species only tank as, what others have said, they are highly aggressive. The scary thing about them, as the one individual above stated, is that they will be fine in the tank for a period of time, and then snap, much like an abused dog.

They are absolutely stunning fish and if you feel they are a must have, I definitely suggest a species tank.

Most reactions

Back