Red Jewel Cichlid

AshleyT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i domt know if this is in the right section but iv been lookin for centerpeace fish an iv come across these as most appeling, iv been lookin around an iv seen mixed comments about them can anyone expand of them for me please

Beautiful fish. Absolute psychos. What else would you like to know?

so i take it their a species tank only? or is it possible to place them with a cupple of other (tier barbs, sepria tetra)

Basically species only or with bigger fish that can handle an aggressive situation. I doubt that tiger barbs or serpaes would last long once they decided that they wanted some space.

A solo Red Jewel would mix ok with Tiger Barbs in a 3ft minimum, a pair would destroy anything you put in there.

I have a solo jewel in a 3ft with yellow tail congo tetras and an African butterfly. Apart from the odd nip here and there I'm yet to see any full blown craziness, but I'm always mindful of the potential need to separate.

I have still seen situations where singletons create big problems for owners. It generally seems to be females which makes sense as they could want to lay eggs by them selves.

If you go for something that involves a school or small community around them just keep the same mindset as TooManyChoices and always be mindful to separate.

I always think of cichlid keeping in percentage of risk or either aggression, fighting or death and I have to admit when a Jewel is involved its always a high percentage of it going wrong..... Just my two cents..

Wills

But...
DSC05735_zpsc462e337.jpg

They're astonishingly beautiful. That one is mine from a shot yesterday.

Wills said:
I have still seen situations where singletons create big problems for owners. 
Gosh yes; that's how I got the jewel cichlid that I had; a friend's wife bought it for her community tank and it was in there less than half a day and it had killed six or seven fish. That was a female. 

I bottled out when she was given to me and just kept her on her own! Beautiful fish though, it's true; shame they're such aggressive little devils 
crazy.gif

fluttermoth said:
I have still seen situations where singletons create big problems for owners. 
Gosh yes; that's how I got the jewel cichlid that I had; a friend's wife bought it for her community tank and it was in there less than half a day and it had killed six or seven fish. That was a female. 

I bottled out when she was given to me and just kept her on her own! Beautiful fish though, it's true; shame they're such aggressive little devils 
crazy.gif

Totally agree - a lot of female cichlids will lay eggs by them selves my female severum goes on a weekly cycle sometimes.

Wills

i had a single one with some bigger ca cichlids and it was completly nuts it wouldn't back down for anything no matter what the size, i had to rehome it in the end.

Most reactions

Back