Red Hills Sticking Out - Help Please

akrob

Reaction score
I have a 64l tropical tank, set up for 2 weeks, then added 6 black neons at LFS advice, all fish happy and well, added 3 harlequins about 2 weeks later, all fish happy. This week (nearly 2 months later), I added a yoyo loach and a gold algea eater. All fish seem happy and are eating ok. Last water change was almost a week ago. All readings have been stable for a long time now, and today ammonia is 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, PH is 7.6.
I added the new fish (yoyo and gold algea eater) on Tuesday, and yesterday (Wednesday), one of my black neons looks a little bit swollen around the fish equivalent of a chin, and it's gills are open a little and red inside. I tested the water because I wondered about ammonia poisoning, but all is well.
Does this happen if fish are stressed about new arrivals? Does it get better? Thank you.

Obviously the title should say *gills*...

my initial thought is ammonia poisoning, your readings would indicate your tank isnt cycled but you say its over 2 months old, im not that experienced with the hobby so hopefully someone will chip in with a idea to what your problem is, the only thing i will sugest is massive water change now and see how things are after

I cycled the tank using the black neons and then adding harlequins, also using interpet filter start. The readings went through the full cycle. The readings have been as above for quite some time now. So I am happy it isn't recent ammonia poisoning.
I wondered if perhaps its damage from using them in the cycling that's just showing up now, so previous anmonia poisoning just showing now (does that happen?). Or perhaps stress from adding the recent two (yoyo loach and gold algea eater) has affected it? The neons and harlequins gave had the tank to themselves for almost 2 months. It's the only one out of six that looks a bit off. But it's my first poorly fish and I don't know what it is or what to do.
I also just went away for a week but used a holiday feeder and all fish were happy etc when I got back. The lights were on a timer to keep the routine going, and someone was checking on them (who is an experienced fish keeper).

If you've ruled out ammonia, then could it be aggression?

Both yoyo and Chinese loaches can be very aggressive towards other fish; the yoyos if in too small a group and the Chinese as they get bigger, so it's more likely to be the yoyo, IMO.

They're both going to grow too big for your tank anyway, so it might be worthwhile returning/rehoming them now and see if things get better.

On a side note, are you sure you're doing the tests correctly? They can be quite tricky to do properly. It would be almost unheard of for a cycled tank to have zero nitrate; the second bottle needs really, really good bash before you use it; much more than it says!

It said to shake it for an eternity, then some more, and I really went nuts!! I had to keep swapping arms!
How annoying though because I told the LFS what size tank etc and these were their advice.
I haven't seen any aggression but who knows what goes on at night. My poor neon!!
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll certainly retest. When I say 0 is was the very first colour in the test chart, I.e. the lowest reading.

If you cycled the tank "using" neons there is a very good chance its ammonia poisoning, the damage it does wont go away and can effect the fish for the rest of its life.

I wouldnt be listening to your local shop any more, if you want decent advice, pop on here and ask questions :)

I certainly will be!! Will my fish be ok and will it spread to the others? Does it generally get worse? Do I need to quarantine my poorly one?

Hi if it is the ammonia that has caused this then only the fish that were in the tank when being cycled could show signs,I think .I have 2 yoyos for a couple of years and never had any problems with them when it comes to my other fish , brilliant dustbins :crazy:
Cathy

That is reassuring. They all seem fine together, although I appreciate it's early days. An angry at myself as I wanted to, and was so careful to do everything 'right'.
I suspect I am not the first to have bad advice.
I just hope the fish with red hills doesn't suffer.
Thank you so much for the help.

Hi everybody make mistakes at the begining esp with bad advice lfs who you think you could trust :angry: hope all goes ok now

cathy

Most reactions

Back