Red Finned Shark

big-george91

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone

i was looking in my lfs and i noticed the red finned shark and i asked the bloke working their if its alright in my tank and he asked if i have any sharks i said yes i have 3 bala sharks and he said they would attack the red finned shark because ur meant to add all the sharks at the same time and my balas have been in there for about a year is this true? because i really like the red finned shark

thank for any help

Hi everyone

i was looking in my lfs and i noticed the red finned shark and i asked the bloke working their if its alright in my tank and he asked if i have any sharks i said yes i have 3 bala sharks and he said they would attack the red finned shark because ur meant to add all the sharks at the same time and my balas have been in there for about a year is this true? because i really like the red finned shark

thank for any help
well i guess it is, sort of. shark type fish do tend to be aggressive towards each other. not sure putting them in all at once will avoid any problems. perhaps others may feel differently. what worries me is tank size, both types of shark like lots of room to swim. your bala's will exceed 12 inches in length, and the red fin shark, will get to say 6-7 but both need lots of swimming space. i would suggest if your current tank is not well over 100ukg, don't get the shark. believe me you will have trouble enough with the balas.

Bala's and red fins are fine together, What the shop is thinking is your not meant to add Labio's (red tail, red fin and black sharks) together as they are territorial and as the mature will not tolerate other fish unless the tank is of a good large size, a 6 foot tank, then you may get way with 2-3 fish given their's enough space.

Bala's are of a different genus to Labio's and are more tolerant.

If I were you I would add more Bala's, theyre a schooling fish and will be happier in greater numbers. However, if you can't house them at 10-12 inches per fish then forget it, these fish get large :crazy: Red-tail and Rainbow sharks are cool though, I myself keep'm, but not together; these sharks need to be the only of their species in the tank; theyre fine with Balas :good:

Most reactions

Back