Red Eye Puffer

There are quite a few puffers that get labled as "Red Eyed Puffers". Two of the most frequent being C. lorteti as mentioned above, and C. irrubusco. Although similar in appearence they are usually quite different in temperment. You first need to establish which species of "red-eye" you are looking for, then do some research on that species. The link given by TorPeteO, while having good scientific information, doesn't really apply to keeping fish in the aquarium, and most of the info is based on where the fish were collected from when the study was taking place, so doesn't necessarily have the most accurate info when it comes to puffer fish.
try (http://home.earthlink.net/~snebluemoon/Species.html) for some good info on various puffer species

Thanks for the help guys. I like the ones that were given to me in the link from Tor. But i couldn't get to the last link. Could you write me the info like size of tank food temperment , and stuff like that. Thanks in advance

This is directly from Pufferpack's suggested site;

"Red Eye, Carinotetraodon lorteti (valid) AKA C. somphongsi & T. borneensis (reclassified, Tetraodon is no longer correct genus)

"There are noticeable differences between the genders for this species. Males are redder, and show display exhibits of a keel and back ridge. Dorsal rays 11-13, Anal Rays 10-12, Nasal tentacle is a short rounded tube with a terminal opening. Distribution: Borneo, Malaya, Indochina. A fresh water species, maximum size noted by literature is 5.5 cm. (2.16 inches). Do not let their small size fool you, this is an aggressive species that can obliterate a community tank to tatters in hours or days. Successful breeding in captivity has been achieved by scientists and hobbyists.

"Carinotetraodon irrubesco is not currently recognised as a separate species by Fish Base. However, the Aqualog publication does list it as separate. Apparently the only difference is the colour of the caudal in, which is red in this species. Perhaps the taxonomists will discover whether this is indeed a separate species or only a phase or variation of the C. lorteti. Maximum size of this phase is cited as 4.5 cm (1.77 inches)"

[Source URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~snebluemoon/Species.html#lorteti]

And here is more from a further source;

"Range: Asia, Indochina, Malsysia, Indonesia
Depth: unknown
Habitat: Rivers, streams, slow moving or standing water
Diet: Zooplankton, molluscs, crustaceans, invertebrates
Activity: Adults demersal.
Compatibility: Aggressive
Maximum Length: 6 cm.
Breeding Habits: external fertilization, up to 350 eggs in open water substratum, parents do not gaurd"

[Source URL: http://chunkypuff.net/speciesinfo.php?cat=4&id=lorteti]

Sorry I can't provide further first-hand help, I don't have any direct experience with these puffers. I imagine, however, that aside from assorted molluscs in their diet, they would also eat bloodworm, similar to most other puffers kept in captivity.

Personally, I think that this would be a fun fish to keep, but it might not be as fun for beginners. These fish would need a lot of space, especially if you wanted to keep two of them. There is one at my LFS who's in a display tank, about 2 inches long, and he's killed every other fish they've tried to put in there with him except for one particular sailfin mollie (it makes for a very strange couple).

Hahaha yeah i guess there are always a few of those weird match ups. Okay so he is really a species only kind of fish then. Are there any puffers that can be not in a community tank.

Do you mean - are there any puffers that can be in a community tank?
No.
Some do fine with a few species.

www the puffer forum

Kim

Most reactions

Back