Red Crabs Dying Whilst Shedding?

dumbblondie1986

Reaction score
they are dying when shedding i've had about 3 die i have other pets that shed so i know they should move a little whilst shedding but my crabs don't why is this happening

I was told just adding a few algae tablets when they molt helps. I think all 8 of my crabs have molted successfully now. What set-up do you keep them in? Also heard that brackish (which they should have access too) might also help when they molt.

don't know, like i said not had a prob. Do your crabs have access air and brackish water?

they are dying when shedding i've had about 3 die i have other pets that shed so i know they should move a little whilst shedding but my crabs don't why is this happening

you dont say how you keep these guys, if they have no access to dry land and are kept in fresh water, this is the most common cause of crab deaths. however access to dry land and no brackish water is the most likely cause of the deaths.. can you describe how the crab looked when you found it? ie, was its colour any different to before it moulted, was it in a contorted position? and finally where did you find it? often if you find a crab half way up a plant or ornament, its an indication that the crab was threatened during moult, the climbing being an attempt to get out of the way. sadly they often die if this happens.

they have access 2 dry land they r pale when i found them they didn't seem in a contorted position i just watched 1 sheddin it came about half out then another 1 came over & tries 2 attack it all the dead 1's were in the water in the middle of the tank

sounds like the other crab scared it to death as it was molting. What size tank you got and how many male (big claws) do you have in it?

I know from experience that if you have too many males it only ends badly! I wanted to add a couple more crabs to my tank, which already had 1 male and 3 females in. So i bought two crabs thinking they were females, turned out they were both males. Unfortunately the old male did not like this and one of the new males ended up with just on claw and 3 legs! :no: Not good!

Also do they have access to brackish water? I have my crabs in a freshwater tank, but at the top there is a pool of brackish water which they bath in. Like boboboy said if they don't have access to it can kill them.

they have access 2 dry land they r pale when i found them they didn't seem in a contorted position i just watched 1 sheddin it came about half out then another 1 came over & tries 2 attack it all the dead 1's were in the water in the middle of the tank

humm ok. now we need the dimensions of your tank, as JDWolf says, and the level you fill the water too. you still don't say if they have brackish water! it does sound like you may need more places for the crabs to hide. though not unheard of, crabs don't tend to shed in an open area, especially if there are other crabs about, well any potential danger really. whatever, lets get to the bottom of this. crabs are a wonderful addition to any fishkeepers collection. i could also do with seeing some water stats too.

Most reactions

Back