Red-bellied Piranha Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

I'll try to answer as many of the response questions that I read here.

He is about 3 - 4 inches long now. I recently moved him from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank so that he has more room to move around. It is since this move that his appetite has seemed to grow tremendously.

I will definitely try the shrimp and other foods to give him some variety.

Basically, I was originally confused with how much he should be eating and how often.

Finally, I do have a question. A friend of mine said that he used to have 2 piranhas and an oscar in the same tank and that the piranhas would not mess with the oscar. Has anyone ever heard of this? I was under the assumption that if you had a piranha in the tank, that is what was in the tank since it would most likely eat everything else.

I have had tropical fish for years, but this is my first piranha, so I'm new to this.

Thanks for the help.

The Fish Importer summed it up pretty good.

I just wanted to add that generally, don't add any fish to a tank with piranhas that you don't want to get killed. Right now the piranha is small enough to want to east just fins but if you miss a meal or sometimes for no reason , the piranha can turn on him.

Like The Fish Importer stated, most Pygo's like to be in shoals for security and if you get a minimum of 2 more you'll see more how they act and what they're about. (Dependant upon tank size as I forgot if you posted it or not)

Thanks guys.

He is about 3 - 4 inches long now. I recently moved him from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank so that he has more room to move around. It is since this move that his appetite has seemed to grow tremendously.

Basically, I was originally confused with how much he should be eating and how often.

Finally, I do have a question. A friend of mine said that he used to have 2 piranhas and an oscar in the same tank and that the piranhas would not mess with the oscar. Has anyone ever heard of this? I was under the assumption that if you had a piranha in the tank, that is what was in the tank since it would most likely eat everything else.

I have had tropical fish for years, but this is my first piranha, so I'm new to this.

Thanks for the help.

I just wanted to add that generally, don't add any fish to a tank with piranhas that you don't want to get killed. Right now the piranha is small enough to want to east just fins but if you miss a meal or sometimes for no reason , the piranha can turn on him.

Like The Fish Importer stated, most Pygo's like to be in shoals for security and if you get a minimum of 2 more you'll see more how they act and what they're about. (Dependant upon tank size as I forgot if you posted it or not)

Thanks again.

You guys are really helping me out with my little guy. I have him in a 20 gallon tank. How many can I keep in there?

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks again.

You guys are really helping me out with my little guy. I have him in a 20 gallon tank. How many can I keep in there?

Just the one, even that tanks gonna be too small for one as it approachs 10" plus and scretches around when startled. A injury will more than likely accor.

adgo is probably correct.

You can try but brine shrimp and bloodworms are more for the dime-sized piranhas.

If I were you I'd get raw shrimp, tilapia and catfish nuggets for now. Make sure everything is raw. (The shrimp will be grey not pink) Don't buy a lot of any of them just a small bit since it will probably last a month or two. Try feeding 3-4 times a day, small meals, and vary it up with the 3. Cut them to bitesize. You can try redworms until he's 5-6" and then buy some nightcrawlers to add into your variety.

adgo is probably correct.

You can try but brine shrimp and bloodworms are more for the dime-sized piranhas.

If I were you I'd get raw shrimp, tilapia and catfish nuggets for now. Make sure everything is raw. (The shrimp will be grey not pink) Don't buy a lot of any of them just a small bit since it will probably last a month or two. Try feeding 3-4 times a day, small meals, and vary it up with the 3. Cut them to bitesize. You can try redworms until he's 5-6" and then buy some nightcrawlers to add into your variety.

Cool thanks. You guys have been more help than any place else I have tried.

Is it OK to freeze the bite sized pieces for storage?

As I am writing this, he just destroyed one of the feeder minnows in the tank. WOW!

To all the posters in this thread....I have been notified by another member of the posts here which, IMO, have been suboptimal with regards to posting and respect of others. I am closing this thread and respectfully request the members here who have used 'off language' or been disrespectful to PM me with an explanation. Thank you. SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back