Recommended Fish Food For Goldfish

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations as to what is the best type of fish food to purchase for my two goldfish. I have one regular goldfish, not sure the breed, and one black moor. The black moor is around 2 years younger than the other one and the black moor is around 3 years old now.

This is the food I have been buying recently, from Tesco - Aquarian Goldfish Flakes - are there any better alternatives?

Thanks,
Picco

i use koi pellets/sticks live and frozen foods and mussels/prawns ect as a treat and sometimes romain lettuce and water cress/ river shrimp allsorts and flakes too just don't over feed them :good:

Hi Jay,

I never overfeed them, i've been pretty successful with the fish that I have kept and think that with one of my goldfish around 5 years old then I must be doing something right with keeping them. :good:

I'm not certain what type of goldfish my oldest is - i'm no expert as you can probably tell :blush: - but it's just a normal goldfish you'd get from a pet shop. Is that a Koi?

I'd like to give them something else to eat, as all they really have to eat is the Aquarian Goldfish Flakes.

http://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/aquarian-goldf...tm_campaign=All

I don't want to change their diet if it is going to cause them problems if they have been used to the same food for so long, but if there is something else that I can give them that is either good for them or a good "treat" or something then that would be good. Do you have a link to show what else I could get for them - or what you buy for your goldfish?

Cheers,
Picco

Goldfish3.jpg

This is what my goldfish looks like - very similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish

may i ask what tank hes in and can i we have a full tank pic
just being nosey really

you don't have to change their diet just give things as treats once or twice a week

its a standard goldfish (domesicated carp/koi) but very nice i do like goldfish i have qiute a few in my pond and a big sarasa comet and shubumpkins thay are all quite large lol and most of them are about 7/8 years old there is a couple of big fancy's in there too which are quite old too :good:

To be honest, i would recomend changing your food, always go on the basis that 'if a generic shop like tescos is selling a specific animal product like foods... it isnt going to be the better products...'

I would advise getting them onto JBL Goldpearls at best, Tetra Prima or Tetra Gold Japan at second best, these are all a sinking pellet which is better for them, especially the fancy and makes it a lot easier for you to feed without overfeeding. Just going on the fact that a pinch of flake can be any size but then say something like...7-8 pellets per fish is easier.

If you don't like using pellets then JBL Gala mixed in with JBL Spirulina, that way they get more of the green veggies they need in their diet plus their good quality flake food.

Treat wise, get some cubes of frozen bloodworm, they will go mad for it!!

Hi. You could try Tetrafin too to vary the staple flake food a bit. Also frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Can you get any live daphnia or bloodworm from a fish shop? That's even better say once a week.

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to this post. Here's some pics I took of the tank, just after it was cleaned out. Sadly it is looking a bit dirty still from these pictures. :unsure:

The frozen bloodworm sounds interesting - are they common? I've seen these bloodworm pellets on eBay - are they worth giving them a try? http://bit.ly/R4mwo

If these aren't the best thing to go for is there anything on eBay you could point out worth giving a try?

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

Cheers,
Picco

Hey, they do look healthy, I have 5 fish in a tank the same as yours, had them years! As for food I feed mine gold fish flakes.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Tim

5 fish in that tank? WOW :hyper: - i'd have thought that was too many. Although, judging by the fact you've had them for years obviously not.

I've had my two fish for a few years now. Jack - the goldfish, and Isa - the black moor have been in that tank for over two years now. I'm glad you think they're looking healthy! B-)

I think i'm going to buy some of those Bloodworm Pellets off eBay just now, it says in the auction: "Ideal food for: Koi, Goldfish,....", so presume they should eat them ok. Only £1.19 delivered.

Interested to hear more about these frozen bloodworms though - do they need to be kept in the freezer?

Cheers,
Picco

Yeah the bloodworms are kept in the freezer, I sometimes treat my tropical fish to them.

The frozen ones obviously last alot longer ( I think when I had a pack they lasted 4months), but I think live bloodworms are more of a treat as they can catch them, and is more 'natural'.

Here come the Anals.

Why not answer his question instead of ***** at him about his tank size which is oviously fine.

Its like you and the O.P being locked in a bedroom for the rst of your life and every now and then have some food put through the door. So its obviously not alright. And what 5 fish do you hav in that same tank?

people lik you really #101## me off...

Most reactions

Back