Recommendations: Malaysian driftwood

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I mainly am looking for a large piece for aesthetics, however, two stones in one, I am hoping it will lower PH. I add aquarium salt for health benefits as recommended by the medicine brand to support treatment, but it raised the PH and I don't think almond leaves are enough to lower the PH again as it went from 7.5-8.5 in a week or less.

After reading about various types of driftwood, I concluded I'd love to get my hands on some Malaysian driftwood. I read it is better for bettas as it doesn't have the rough parts they can get hurt or rip their tails on. Overall tho, it decays slow apparently and amongst others, I cannot remember all points but I'd decided it was best..only to be disappointed that I cannot find it by name anywhere online. Is that possible or is it just not named "Malaysian"? Most driftwood on eBay and amazon aquatics sellers and anywhere independent is just driftwood entitled without specific types.

Please tell me if you know a supplier OR an alternative I can get in UK?

I'm OK with tannins/Ice tea coloration. I just want driftwood that rots slower and isn't dangerous for fish to scratch or hurt themselves so smoother wood please?

Kindset,
Tonya

HI what are the salts you are using? I don't think you need to regularly dose anything like that for Bettas? If you wanted some wood though any kind you find in pet stores will do the job, the named types are sometimes sold in certain places but anything that is labeled as driftwood, bogwood, manaznita, redmoore, spider wood, mopani etc are all good. They wont massively soften your water though.

Best to remember that consistent parameters are better than fluctuating which can happen if you use a variety of products to alter them. If you need to harden or soften your water you are best of starting with RO or rainwater and using a product like seachem equilibirum or salty shrimp to get it reliably where you want it.

Wills

HI what are the salts you are using? I don't think you need to regularly dose anything like that for Bettas? If you wanted some wood though any kind you find in pet stores will do the job, the named types are sometimes sold in certain places but anything that is labeled as driftwood, bogwood, manaznita, redmoore, spider wood, mopani etc are all good. They wont massively soften your water though.

Best to remember that consistent parameters are better than fluctuating which can happen if you use a variety of products to alter them. If you need to harden or soften your water you are best of starting with RO or rainwater and using a product like seachem equilibirum or salty shrimp to get it reliably where you want it.

Wills
Just API aquarium salt. The RO system I am still researching as I cannot drill the counter/sink for the tap (I rent my property) and the counter top ones don't seem great. Lots of people overprice the system and maintenance so I am taking adequate time to choose a suitable system for me.

I backed out of installing RO myself due to both cost and having to have all my houses water being filtered.
I built a 100ltr rain barrel system instead but I guess that's not an option for you.
Most aquarium/fish shops sell RO water pretty cheaply, and then of course there's the ASDA/Tesco and probably more shops bottled water.
I use a mix of bottled, tapwater and rainwater to achieve my required GH/pH levels.
I have the Mopani wood in my own tanks and just love the effect but I can't say whether or not they reduced the pH

I backed out of installing RO myself due to both cost and having to have all my houses water being filtered.
I built a 100ltr rain barrel system instead but I guess that's not an option for you.
Most aquarium/fish shops sell RO water pretty cheaply, and then of course there's the ASDA/Tesco and probably more shops bottled water.
I use a mix of bottled, tapwater and rainwater to achieve my required GH/pH levels.
I have the Mopani wood in my own tanks and just love the effect but I can't say whether or not they reduced the pH
Would a water butt with filter be good enough, and would ya use the water straight out of it or do something additional?

But bottles water has minerals doesn't it? Why does it change the kh and GH?

Most reactions

Back