The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

faolteam

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Recommendations for a Tank Size​

Not allowed!

Folks hi just wondering i have space for an Aquarium the dimensions for base are 40cms x 40cms , i dont know what fish ill put in or if ill leave it for a Quarrintine or sick tank but will be freshwater, and im getting someone to make it for me, also he has recommended opti glass as opposed to normal, be intersted in your views of that but

What height would be best with these dimensions ?

Thanks in Advance

There is no point in having a tank running for no purpose so put something from your main tank into it and they may spawn.

Recommendations for a Tank Size​

Not allowed!
Oh no I will keep this one going , so I'm just wondering if I'm going 40x40cm what height should I go?
And is opti glass necessary or does it have benefits to real glass thanks

I understand but was just wondering would the height be too much and would 30cms be better

Standard glass has a greenish tint. Opti glass or Optiwhite glass does not have the greenish tint. And of course it's more expensive. While it is possible to have a tank made completely with opti glass, it is more usual for just the front pane opti glass and the others standard glass (keeps the cost down)

Edited because I keep typing letters in the wrong order!

I understand but was just wondering would the height be too much and would 30cms be better
Going to depend on what fish but personally if you already have a 40X40 footprint I would just Cube it and go for 40 tall as well.

Opti Glass is nice but personally I don't think its worth it.

yeah he quoted me 120 opti glass and 80 normal glass both with sliding lids

AND IF i just want one front panel glass opti 90

Last edited:
You could always ask the price of just the front pane in opti glass and the other 3 sides, bottom and cover glass in ordinary glass.

In my opinion, a tank should be at least 40cm in height, unless you are keeping Betta that need to breathe from the surface frequently and they prefer lower height.

first consider what your water parameters are
after that look at what fish are suited to your water supply
then do your research on which of these species you like
make sure you can meet the needs of the fish to give it the best life closest to the one they have in their native environment...this includes water flow, type of plants, substrate, number of fish needed to thrive, diet, etc...
finally, decide on the height based on the particular needs of the fish you prefer.

for example---some fish require longer tanks based on their swimming behavior

Last edited:
You could always ask the price of just the front pane in opti glass and the other 3 sides, bottom and cover glass in ordinary glass.
AND IF i just want one front panel glass opti 90

10 extra for just the front panel is a lot better than for all optiglass, but the question is whether you'll notice a difference? If not, don't bother.

Most reactions

Back