Recommend some fish

Aquafox

Reaction score
I have an 80 litre tank, its 2 foot long, 1 foot deep and 18 inches tall. My PH is at a stable 7.4 - 7,6. The tank is heavily planted with a thick layer of fluorite gravel and sand on top. I have a filter that is good for up to 400 litres (1000 l/h), so I should be okay to have it a little overstocked. I currently have 4 Otocinclus and a silver flying fox, however I may have to rehome the flying fox as I was given false information about how big he will get. He's only around 2 inches at the moment though, so he is fine for now. I also plan on getting a group of 4 - 6 Corydoras and I'm 50/50 on whether or not to get a Bristlenose pleco or not. (I would much prefer an L46 zebra pleco, but unfortunately they are very hard to find and pretty expensive). This is essentially my clean up crew, and they spend most of their time at the bottom or around the plants.

Now I am totally undecided on some fish that will spend most of their time in the middle and upper section of the water. I want 2 - 3 schools of around 6 small fish that will be quite active and eye catching like the neon tetra, but not as common, everybody has had neons at some point. Then 2 or 3 larger fish, I really like the bolivian rams, but they can be aggressive. Something similar, but peaceful would be great.

Bristlenoses are cool, although often invisible. Personally I would add a few more otos. You do need some wood either way.

As you say, the Flying Fox should be re-homed. Aside from size, you will have other issues.

With the otos I personally would not recommend a Bristlenose. But if you do, it must have wood to graze.

Cories need five minimum, six or seven would be better. Assuming they are the small or medium sized species, not the very large. Upper fish should not be active swimmers since there is not much swimming room (length of a tank determines this much more than volume).

The pH is mentioned, do you know the GH (general or total hardness) of your tap water? This is more important than pH and there are several suitable fish species but being wild caught we need to pay attention to the GH.

As you say, the Flying Fox should be re-homed. Aside from size, you will have other issues.

With the otos I personally would not recommend a Bristlenose. But if you do, it must have wood to graze.

Cories need five minimum, six or seven would be better. Assuming they are the small or medium sized species, not the very large. Upper fish should not be active swimmers since there is not much swimming room (length of a tank determines this much more than volume).

The pH is mentioned, do you know the GH (general or total hardness) of your tap water? This is more important than pH and there are several suitable fish species but being wild caught we need to pay attention to the GH.

Thanks for the info, I have already been to my LFS today before seeing your post and chose some fish.

I decided against a Bristlenose,they can be a bit messy and spend most of the time hiding anyway.

I got 4 Corydoras Julii (Leopard Corys), what would you recommend as the maximum number of these for my current tank as I would be happy to get more, I love these fish.

I was going to get some red Serpae Tetra, but the guy in the store told me they can be a bit nippy and recommended some Cherry Barbs instead, so I got 4 of those.

I got 4 Platies (1 male, 3 female), I know they breed like Guppies, but I have a backup plan if the population gets out of control. I will not be removing any fry, however there is plenty of cover for them. So I should end up with a few more adults. The store will buy them back for half the price in store credit if I end up with too many.

I also got 4 Leopard Danio and 2 Bolivian Rams.

I have just tested my water, the KH is 4 degrees (72ppm), GH is 8 degrees (143ppm) and the PH is now somewhere between 7.6 - 7.8. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and Nitrate between 5 - 10.

I got 4 Corydoras Julii (Leopard Corys), what would you recommend as the maximum number of these for my current tank as I would be happy to get more, I love these fish.

Two or three more will be best. This is a relatively small species, and with cories the more the better as they are social and highly shoaling. A group of 6-7 in total will be fine in this tank.

I got 4 Platies (1 male, 3 female), I know they breed like Guppies, but I have a backup plan if the population gets out of control. I will not be removing any fry, however there is plenty of cover for them. So I should end up with a few more adults. The store will buy them back for half the price in store credit if I end up with too many.

I would return the platies. The GH at 8 is not really sufficient for livebearers to be in good health. And while a few fry may not sound like much, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Each female can deliver a batch of anywhere from a few to more than a dozen fry every month, even if the male is removed now as he may well have impregnated all three females and they can produce several batches of fry without a male after this. This will seriously affect the water quality too.

I would also return the danios. This is an active swimming species and it needs more of them (absolute minimum six, but a few more would be better for the fish) and they need a longer tank because of this.

I know these fish are likely small now and seem tiny in the space, but they should grow and then it becomes serious.

The Serpae Tetra was a wise decision not to acquire, these would terrorize each other and every thing else in this small a tank.

The rams would be best with just one. If you have two males, one will be dead before long as they are very territorial and there is insufficient space for both to exist. If both are female, might live together, might not. If they are a male/female pair, they need to bond to live peacefully and there is no way of knowing if they will or not, and if not, one will be dead before long. Personally, I would not keep this fish in this small a tank, even as one, at it will grow to over three inches.

Thanks for the advice Byron, it is such a shame that those that sell the fish are not as knowledgeable about their needs, I cannot blame the store though, they give good advice most of the time and said almost the exact same as you about the Serpae Tetra before recommending the slightly cheaper Cherry Barbs.

Great news on the Julii Corydoras, I will get another 4 (They're on offer, 4 for price of 3).

The Silver Flying Fox was rehomed this morning, however I'm a little concerned about one of his new tank mates, a Red Tail Shark.

This is my first tank and I have been doing my research for over a month, unfortunately there is a lot of information available on some species, but very little on others. There is also a lot of conflicting information. I chose the Platys not just because I like them, but because all the information I have found so far seemed to tick all the boxes for my set up. All the info I have found for Platys only mentions like temperature, tank size and pH, never KH or GH. I have already looked into adjusting these parameters (just out of curiosity, I did not plan to adjust them) Any advice there?

As for the Leopard Danio, I have a 5 foot long chest of drawers that the tank is currently on. I was originally planning on getting 2 tanks, but I am now considering a larger one instead 4 to 5 feet long. I will most likely be upgrading in September, I'm sure they will be fine in there for now, the tank is twice the size of the one they had to share with around 40 other Danio at the store. When the larger tank is here, I will also up the school to at least 8.

I have been monitoring the Bolivian Rams closely, yesterday they were at opposite ends of the tank all the time and the larger male had "rammed" the potential female on several occasions. Today however, things couldn't be more different, they follow each other everywhere and there has been no signs of aggression at all. From watching their behaviour and doing some additional research I am now around 80% sure the smaller one is a female. I think they may have bonded, but further monitoring is required before I can be sure.

The only site I use for researching fish is Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ Not only is it just about the most reliable site, it also gives hardness and pH requirements, minimum tank size, and a lot of other information about the habitat, food requirements and suitable tank mates of each species.

The Silver Flying Fox was rehomed this morning, however I'm a little concerned about one of his new tank mates, a Red Tail Shark.

Is this another of your tanks? Regardless of that, no, these two willnot likely live together for long. The Red Tailed Shark is a species that shuld be the only substrate-level fish in the tank; no loaches, cories, etc. Individuals vary in their temperament, buty many can be downright nasty. They often take a dislike to some upper fish especially those with vertical stripe patterns, for reasons we do not understand. At 5 inches, it needs a 4-foot tank minimum.

The Silver Flying Fox has other issues I did not mention previously because then my concern was getting it out of this too-small tank. More info here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-kalopterum/

All the info I have found for Platys only mentions like temperature, tank size and pH, never KH or GH. I have already looked into adjusting these parameters (just out of curiosity, I did not plan to adjust them) Any advice there?

Adjusting water parameters permanently can be done, but it is not easy in some cases, or ever, depending. GH, KH and pH are connected, and as GH/KH is the driving factor in pH (along with other factors) the first thing is to know the three values for your source water. It is always safer to go with the water you have and select suitable species that will be healthy in it. This allows for problem-free water changes, both the regular weekly change of say half the tanks' volumes, but also those emergency massive changes that do occur.

The other thing is that raising (as here) the hardness will also increase pH, and while platies will appreciate this, soft-water fish certainly will not, and then they begin to suffer. For example, and I am not saying this will occur because we do not know the GH/KH yet, but if you raised the GH/KH/pH for the platies, the cories might weaken and die off, or at best be prone to various issues due to the weakened state resulting from the stress of the harder water.

A GH of 8 is moderately soft/hard in a subjective term, but more suited to softer-water species. Harder-water species like the livebearers need the mineral, particularly calcium and magnesium, in the water in order to maintain their metabolism, and it affects their physiology. Freshwater fish species have evolved over thousands of years to function in good health with the least stress in very specific parameters, and environment too. While some (but not all) species have some degree of adaptability, this brings issues with it for many of them. Most tetras (a very few exceptions) and the Bolivian Rams mentioned would not fare better if the GH and pH increased, quite the opposite.

As for the Leopard Danio, I have a 5 foot long chest of drawers that the tank is currently on. I was originally planning on getting 2 tanks, but I am now considering a larger one instead 4 to 5 feet long. I will most likely be upgrading in September, I'm sure they will be fine in there for now, the tank is twice the size of the one they had to share with around 40 other Danio at the store. When the larger tank is here, I will also up the school to at least 8.

I learned a maxim early on...never buy any fish for which you do not at the time of acquisition have the aquarium you will need when the fish is mature. In other words, until you have the tank space, do not buy danios. The lack of a decent-sized shoal can cause problems that are irreversible. Your situation may change and the larger tank never materialize. So, "temporary" insufficient maintenance is not as easy as it sounds, and the fish suffer for it, always, no matter if they live or not.

Water is very heavy, a gallon weighs 10 pounds, so a 4-foot tank needs very strong support (a dresser will not likely do it) and there is the house structure too. Wood frame can suddenly give way under the weight of large tanks.

I have been monitoring the Bolivian Rams closely, yesterday they were at opposite ends of the tank all the time and the larger male had "rammed" the potential female on several occasions. Today however, things couldn't be more different, they follow each other everywhere and there has been no signs of aggression at all. From watching their behaviour and doing some additional research I am now around 80% sure the smaller one is a female. I think they may have bonded, but further monitoring is required before I can be sure.

This description suggests a male/female pair, but bonding is not guaranteed. I had a male Bolivian and acquired a female, and they were together in a heavily planted 5-foot 115g tank (with over a hundred characins and cories). This was several years ago before I understood the bonding issue. I saw what you describe, then they spawned a couple weeks after being introduced to each other. The spawning interaction was not quite right though, but I let them alone. The cories got the eggs of four spawnings, and then the male overnight killed the female. In my case, one of the spawnings involved the male guarding the eggs, which is most unusual for this species, and the others the female and she terrorized the male, also not normal. Looking back with hindsight, it is easy to see they had never truly bonded.

A 20g is still not sufficient space for this fish in a pair, long-term, regardless.

The Silver Flying Fox has been rehomed in a family members tank.

I visited my LFS again today and picked up another 4 Corydoras, I have a total of 8 now.

While I was at my LFS I mentioned KH & GH and was told they are only important for salt water tanks. I know this is not true (I know, go to good reputable fish store that gives good advice etc etc. Unfortunately, this is the best in my area, the rest are much worse). I regularly test my water for KH, GH, PH, NH3, NO2 & NO3. Is there any other tests that you would recommend? Not just for the benefit of the fish, my plants too. More importantly, if you know of any good books or online resources I could check out to gain a better understanding of the water chemistry, I would be extremely greatful if you could point me in the right direction. It is not good enough to know how to test the water, its understanding what the results mean that is important, as well as how to improve the water quality.

The only fish I have bought so far without knowing much about them are the Danio, the rest of them I have done a little research, but with so much inaccurate and conflicting information online it is hard to know for sure if you are choosing the right species. I will have a good think about what my plans are for the fish that are not suitable for the tank and decide what to do in the next few weeks.

My brother already has a 4ft tank that would be ideal for the Danio, however he is in the middle of treating them for Ick (a.k.a white spot.) The Danio could possibly go there once the rest of his fish are back to full health. I would love to keep them and get a larger tank, but even before you had mentioned it I had already been thinking about whether or not the drawers would be strong enough to support the weight of a tank that size. My current tank is already heavier than me!

Could you please recommend some fish that would be more suitable? My favourite fish are the Julii Corydoras, native to Eastern Brazil. I would really like to try to recreate their natural habitat including the other species of fish.

...I regularly test my water for KH, GH, PH, NH3, NO2 & NO3. Is there any other tests that you would recommend? .
no, that's it for freshwater.

...More importantly, if you know of any good books or online resources I could check out to gain a better understanding of the water chemistry, ...
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Volume 1, by Rudiger Riehl, Hans Baensch (Hardback), see following link.
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Aquarium-...ch-Hardback/104996406?iid=222594692029&chn=ps

The first volume of the freshwater atlas (the one in the above link) tells you all about water chemistry, filtration and diseases, as well as providing a heap of info about individual species of freshwater fishes, including colour pictures of each species.

It is not a cheap book to buy but in my opinion is worth every cent. However, before you buy, perhaps visit your local library and get some books out from there. Most libraries have books on fresh and salt water aquariums and the marine/ salt water aquarium books are usually very informative when it comes to water chemistry and filtration, and these are the same in fresh or salt water, with the only difference being the actual species of bacteria in the filters.

I regularly test my water for KH, GH, PH, NH3, NO2 & NO3. Is there any other tests that you would recommend? Not just for the benefit of the fish, my plants too.

As Colin said, these are the pertinent tests. Once a tank is cycled and becoming/becomes established, ammonia and nitrite should not be necessary except at the first sign of a likely problem. GH and KH should not be necessary unless you are specifically targeting these within the tank; targeting means adding something deliberately to alter GH/KH, such as calcareous substrate/rock which will increase GH/KH (and pH). Otherwise, once you know the GH/KH of the source water, you can expect it to remain close to that unless of course the source water itself is liable to fluctuate due to the initial source.

Nitrate and pH are tests that can be done periodically, and again at the first sign of trouble. Both of these can change, and the aim is to have them stable. These are the only tests I ever do on tank water on any sort of periodic/regular basis, but even these are very infrequent now since my tanks have been stable for many years.

You do want to always test the source water on its own for all of the mentioned aspects (GH, KH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) to determine if any are present so you know what action may be required. Nitrate in the source water for example is an issue and may need to be dealt with before the water even enters the fish tank, depending.

As you mention plants, the GH is important there. I have zero GH in my source water, so calcium and magnesium (the minerals responsible for GH) have to be added for the plants. My soft water fish species do not need this at all in the water.

Could you please recommend some fish that would be more suitable? My favourite fish are the Julii Corydoras, native to Eastern Brazil. I would really like to try to recreate their natural habitat including the other species of fish.

You mentioned conflicting information and sources for reliable information, and this is certainly an issue in this hobby (the conflicting and erroneous information). The Baensch & Riehl Aquarium Atlas book is probably the best in the book line, I have the first three volumes. The only problem is that they are getting "old" now and some species information does change.

For online reliable and accurate species data, including habitat, parameters, etc, Seriously Fish is tops.

The true Corydoras julii occurs in a few coastal rivers and certain areas in the lower Amazon basin, Brazil. It is found in small creeks, flooded forest, sandy pools. This is one of four very similarly-patterned cories that are frequently confused and will often be seen in stores under incorrect names. Corydoras julii, C. leopardus, C. punctatus and C. trilineatus all share a large black blotch in the dorsal fin, a barred caudal fin, and a horizontal stripe along the body at the juncture of the dorsal and ventral lateral plates; the body is spotted. However, all these species are highly variable in their pattern, and the horizontal stripe may be absent in C. julii.

The subject species is quite rare in the hobby, since it occurs in rivers and areas that are generally not heavily-fished commercially and is therefore seldom exported; the few times it does appear it has probably been collected in the Rio Para which is regularly fished. The "Julii" cory most often seen in stores is more likely to be C. trilineatus. The true C. julii has a spotted pattern on the head and body, and the lateral stripe is either not present or extends only midway along the body. C. julii is also somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size than C. trilineatus.

The photos on Seriously Fish for these two species entries will illustrate the differences. Whichever, maintenance and habitat is identical.

I would have to do some digging to find the sympatric species if you want to be absolutely authentic. But generally, most of the characins will be suitable as far as parameters and habitat. The tank size will obviously limit many, and all will need a group as they are shoaling.

Most reactions

Back