Recommend Me A Small Filter

talisker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i've got a small aquaone tank 30litre that came with a aquaone internal filter the tank is in my sons bedroom and the filter makes a right racket , can anyone recommend a small filter preferably with adjustable flow that is quite :)

Eheim aquaball, brilliant little internal filter, comes in different sizes, adjustable flow and you can add extra catridges for more media. :good:

Eheim aquaball, brilliant little internal filter, comes in different sizes, adjustable flow and you can add extra catridges for more media.
good.gif

Fluval 1 is small and silent

i second the fluval one very quite and you can pick it up for under a fiver second hand

Cheap, good performance, i really don't know why somewhere in the UK hasn't picked up on these yet!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RESUN-Cyclone-Mini-External-Filter-3W-200L-H-60L-CY-20-/180359416670?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item29fe424b5e

Eheim aquaball, brilliant little internal filter, comes in different sizes, adjustable flow and you can add extra catridges for more media.
good.gif

Fluval 1 is small and silent

Can confirm the u1 is great value for money I got mine for 11 pound from aquakoi aquatics. Just keep an eye on the sponge as it needs regular squeezing other wise it blocks up. Other than that can't fault it.

Cheap, good performance, i really don't know why somewhere in the UK hasn't picked up on these yet!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RESUN-Cyclone-Mini-External-Filter-3W-200L-H-60L-CY-20-/180359416670?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item29fe424b5e
think the postage charge has something to do with it!! for that you can almost get a fluval plus 1,wicked little filter,i have had one now for over 3 yrs which has been run 24-7 for that time

£20 all in for an external nano filter with a 2ltr cannister, with 200lph turnover, would wipe the floor with a fluval 1.

a saw that Vic, just after i posted, that comment^^^, they are going in the right direction arn't they. Aps are going to be a big name in the future IMO. I haven't read a bad word about them.

From my experience with the Fluval U1 I would strongly NOT recommend getting it. Theres one in the tank I 'monitor' down at the local infant school and its horrendously designed, its flow rate seems to reduce by more than half in a week between thorough cleanings of the sponge. Its quite bulky too. I would recommend the aquaball, (As one available from most shops) my cousin had one a while back and I couldn't fault it. I do think however having bought one the APS filters seem great and very good value.

From my experience with the Fluval U1 I would strongly NOT recommend getting it. Theres one in the tank I 'monitor' down at the local infant school and its horrendously designed, its flow rate seems to reduce by more than half in a week between thorough cleanings of the sponge.

I completely understand you but it's usually down to the fact the sponge is pushed down too far so that the small intake is covered by a 1cm cubed piece of sponge. If you raise it up a little bit then there is the entire bottom of the sponge to flow through. It took me about a day to realise this and then my filter performed at an acceptable output.

Remember all filters will almost never achieve their stated flow rate with used media.

With such a smaller filter anyway you should be cleaning it once a week and with the sponge not jammed down it doesn't have a problem. In fact I seeded my filter by using Ceramic media in the bottom with the sponge on top and used it successfully for a while.

I like the look of that filter that Ianho showed, looks quite nicely priced if it performs. Shame about the postage but to be fair you're still getting the filter at like 1/4 of the price you would get for a similar product here.

Edit: I also had an Aquaball but I found in comparison to the Fluval U1 it took up almost the same amount of space but had about 1/6 the amount of media placement and with the extension put on it just makes the filter massive compared to the Fluval U1. I also had problems with mine becoming very noisy very quickly.

Kinda funny, we have both used both products just complete opposite opinions. I think these companies have consistency problems :p

Most reactions

Back