Recommend A Common Household Product..

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Since I have no LFS near me to buy commercial stuff,..... what common household product can I use to dip my plants in to ensure I take no (snail) hitchikers to the new tank???? (obviously not harmfull to my plants either).... I hate snails (with a vengeance).... and went to drastic measures to remove them from this newly setup tank.... I now want to transfer plants to this "snailfree" tank (from tanks with snails in)..... How do I ensure I do not transfer snails as well......

Best way is to give the plants a potassium permangranate dip, although that isn't really a household product,

Bleach also works in a 5% concentration but plant cutting and some sensitive plants may also suffer

Best way is to give the plants a potassium permangranate dip, although that isn't really a household product,

You can get permanganate off ebay really cheap.

I just happen to have that in the house...... (about 40 years old though) but I think age is not a problem..... any other suggestions???..... (hows about a saturated salt sollution - I know that kills your common garden snail)???.....

Don't send Ludwig to eBay, he has problems with eBay... LOLOLOL

A 5% concentration of Bleach is a good plan. Hypersalt solution I would not try. May kill the plant as well, though some plants have a higher tolerance to saline than others.

What?! Seriously? Ebay? Last time my mum bought it from the chemist for dipping plants, she had to sign the poisons book!

Edit; gosh, you're right! Who'd have thought it?

What?! Seriously? Ebay? Last time my mum bought it from the chemist for dipping plants, she had to sign the poisons book!

Edit; gosh, you're right! Who'd have thought it?

Yes indeed. I got some a couple of weeks ago. Probably enough to last about 20 years for under a fiver :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back