Recently Baught Some Platys. Have A Couple Questions

lefty07603

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had them for 2 days and they seem to be happy and healthy. However, they havnt touched any flakes that i drop into the tank. They look like they are eating stuff off the glass and gravel. My tank has been emptyfor a while up until this point.
My next question is how long does it take for them to get used to the tank. I understand that they dont breed until they feel safe and at home. I have a male and a female but the male is bigger, does that mean my female is a juvenile?
Thanks in advance!

If your tank has been empty for some time, the beneficial bacteria in your filter will most likely be dead, so you may have elevated levels of ammonia and/or nitrite that is making the fish feel sick and not want to eat.

Test the water and do large water changes as necessary.

They may, of course, just need time to settle in. Stop offering food for a couple of days and then try again.

Livebearers will breed all the time, whatever the water quality or how 'at home' they feel, it makes no difference. Male livebearers are normally smaller than the females, so your's might be older, but that won't stop the female being pregnant or dropping fry.

You'll have to watch the male's behaviour; male livebearers are, basically, sex mad, and can harass the females to death if there aren't enough females around to give each one a break from his attentions.

Two or three females to every male is the best ratio, but of course, you'll get a lot more fry to deal with then :crazy:

I have had them for 2 days and they seem to be happy and healthy. However, they havnt touched any flakes that i drop into the tank. They look like they are eating stuff off the glass and gravel. My tank has been emptyfor a while up until this point.
My next question is how long does it take for them to get used to the tank. I understand that they dont breed until they feel safe and at home. I have a male and a female but the male is bigger, does that mean my female is a juvenile?
Thanks in advance!
it take time for them to settle in so I wouldn't feed them for a few days crush the flake slightly so not to big for them to eat,

you do need 1 or 2 more as the male won't leave her alone and yes I think your female is younger,

my blue platies have just given birth to 22 babies I can't wait to see what colours they are as it was pregnant when we got her 2 weeks ago

Thanks in advance!
it take time for them to settle in so I wouldn't feed them for a few days crush the flake slightly so not to big for them to eat,

you do need 1 or 2 more as the male won't leave her alone and yes I think your female is younger,

my blue platies have just given birth to 22 babies I can't wait to see what colours they are as it was pregnant when we got her 2 weeks ago
Yes, thank you. And i will probebly add another female to keep everyone happy. And thats exciting! Good luck with the fry!

just wanted to add that platies love nibbling algae off decorations,glass, plants etc so if they're nipping at your glass that is what they'll be doing. They are also grazing fish so will nibble all day. Mine spend the day searching the gravel for bits of left over food - it's just natural platy behaviour and nothing to worry about.

The male should be smaller and thinner than the female so it sounds like your female is very young. I have some 4 month old fry that have just had babies themselves so it's still possible for her to get pregnant - if she isn't already!

Agreeing that you need another female - maybe even 3 depending on how "insistant" the male is

just wanted to add that platies love nibbling algae off decorations,glass, plants etc so if they're nipping at your glass that is what they'll be doing. They are also grazing fish so will nibble all day. Mine spend the day searching the gravel for bits of left over food - it's just natural platy behaviour and nothing to worry about.

The male should be smaller and thinner than the female so it sounds like your female is very young. I have some 4 month old fry that have just had babies themselves so it's still possible for her to get pregnant - if she isn't already!

Agreeing that you need another female - maybe even 3 depending on how "insistant" the male is
Ya im definitely getting another female to be fair to the first female. But the male seems to be rather kind... so far. He doesn't seem to be all over her. They get along great but i am gonna get another female.

I have two male platies - one is really laid back and swims happily with the females causing no bother at all - the other is the opposite!! He's a persistant little s*d!!

I guess it just goes to show how they can differ in temprement

I have two male platies - one is really laid back and swims happily with the females causing no bother at all - the other is the opposite!! He's a persistant little s*d!!

I guess it just goes to show how they can differ in temprement

My female seems to bother the males rather than the other way round!! what a little hussy ;)

Almost all of our common livebearers are grazers, not binge eaters. They greatly prefer to find very small amounts of food almost continuously but will learn to eat all at once the way we typically feed them. What you are seeing with them grazing between meals may well allow them to eat up much of what they ignored when it was first presented to them.

Most reactions

Back