Recent Swordtail Deaths, What's Going On?

denzarki

Reaction score
Nb. My ocd makes me very descriptive, sorry for my essays lol

My tank is about 6 months old now maybe older and up until recently I've had all my swordtails with no issues.

My guppy on the other hand haven't lasted so long. I admit there was a month period where I lost interest and I got an algae build up and I imagine my levels went out of whack. But when I lost most of my guppies that reignited me to be a responsible owner and take care.

After cleaning up my tank (and attitude lol) I spent alot of money (in my bank balance it was alot) buying brand new plants to switch out the ones that had too much algae on them and I bought algae eaters to sort out the rest (pygmy corys, flying foxes and ottos) And I also restocked my guppies, I had 2 males and 6 females initially and in that bad period 6 died which made me realise how much I'd done them wrong.

So that's you upto date on where I was with my tank and where my issues are now arising.

Since then I've kept on top of my tank and I really do treat my fish as pets and not ornaments (I'm known to get teary eyed when I lose one lol) but unfortunately my issue is still happening.

It started with the new guppies, I had 9 females and 3 males and within about a month I am down to 7 female and 2 male. The male I noticed before he died was swimming on the spot near the top corner of the tank (don't know if that helps)

My swords I've never had a problem with but one day when I was cleaning my tank I found a sword skeleton. So I did a head count and it turned out to be one I'd seen alive 3 days earlier. So something is obviously eating my dead fish, supported by the fact I didn't find all my guppies.

Since then one of my males died in the same fashion as the guppy where it was at the top swimming on the spot. And another female died (I didn't notice I just found her half eaten today.)

I used a test strip and that told me my no2 and no3 were fine, so I took my water to get checked at p@h and they told me all was fine but my ammonia was a little high so I should do water changes.

Today I went to another more reputable fish place and they told me with PH under 7.5 the ammonia is ammonium and not toxic so it wouldn't matter if it was off the charts high. I decided enough was enough though and bought a Jbl drop test kit.

My readings are:

PH 7
No2 0,01
No3 7ish
Fe 0.04
Kh 3°dkh

All those seem like good numbers. So I may have fixed the problems with water changes.

But let's say for arguments sake I lose some more fish. What else could be causing the deaths? I don't for one second believe it's hardness related.

Could the flying foxes be killing my fish? Even though I got them after the first lot died.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back