Really high nitrites...any suggestions?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aqua.land

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.

So after changing 50% of the water today, I measured my water levels and I noticed that my nitrites are really high - 10ppm! :unsure:
They have not been like this before, my fish tank was always fine.
I'm quite worried for my fish, I don't want them to be stressed - let alone die. :(

I've just finished a white spot treatment, and I restored my floss filter with carbon to help clear up the traces, and also for some reason my water has been a little bit cloudy the past few days. I blamed it on the aquarium treatment, but I don't think that's what is making the water so bad.

I know that its possible to buy a water cleanser which will help lower nitrite and nitrate levels, or I could add aquarium salt which will help my fish to protect themselves from it while the filter cleans it up/while I do more water changes. I don't want to do any water changes today, but I'll do more tomorrow and the day after.
I don't really want to add chemicals and stuff like that to my aquarium, but it may be my only choice.

I know how to reduce the nitrites, but does anyone know any easier/quicker ways of doing this, apart from the methods mentioned above?

Also, I have a little bottle on beneficial bacteria that is left over from when I started up my aquarium a few weeks ago. I think it might help with my nitrites, but I may be wrong.
Should I add that or will it not help?

Thank you. :)

Hi.

So after changing 50% of the water today, I measured my water levels and I noticed that my nitrites are really high - 10ppm! :unsure:
They have not been like this before, my fish tank was always fine.
I'm quite worried for my fish, I don't want them to be stressed - let alone die. :(

I've just finished a white spot treatment, and I restored my floss filter with carbon to help clear up the traces, and also for some reason my water has been a little bit cloudy the past few days. I blamed it on the aquarium treatment, but I don't think that's what is making the water so bad.

I know that its possible to buy a water cleanser which will help lower nitrite and nitrate levels, or I could add aquarium salt which will help my fish to protect themselves from it while the filter cleans it up/while I do more water changes. I don't want to do any water changes today, but I'll do more tomorrow and the day after.
I don't really want to add chemicals and stuff like that to my aquarium, but it may be my only choice.

I know how to reduce the nitrites, but does anyone know any easier/quicker ways of doing this, apart from the methods mentioned above?

Also, I have a little bottle on beneficial bacteria that is left over from when I started up my aquarium a few weeks ago. I think it might help with my nitrites, but I may be wrong.
Should I add that or will it not help?

Thank you. :)
If you started your tank a few weeks ago then it’s probably not fully cycled yet. That will explain the high nitrites. Beneficial bacteria should help a little bit.

If you started your tank a few weeks ago then it’s probably not fully cycled yet. That will explain the high nitrites. Beneficial bacteria should help a little bit.

Thanks :) ...I should have waited longer before adding in my fish, even though my levels were just fine.

With a nitrite level that high you need to do as many water changes as necessary to reduce the level to zero. A level of 10 ppm can and will kill your fish pretty quickly. Adding the bottled bacteria will help but the water changes are essential.

Thanks!
Also,
By saying this - I am not saying my fish are fine - 10ppm is not okay for them - I want to do all that I can help, and I don't want them to suffer.
The weird thing is that my fish don't look poorly (again, I'm not saying they are fine) they are swimming fine, not gulping for oxygen, or anything like that.
I doubt the strip is wrong, and I'm just mentioning this in case in changes anything.
A few days ago some of my fish developed a round belly.
They don't have pinecone scales, seem fine, and I fed them a couple of peas to ensure it wasn't constipation. I doubt it is, I see them going to the toilet fine. I think they are pregnant.
I don't think this affect anything but i'd just thought I'd mention just in case.
Thank so much, I'm off to add bacteria and do more changes, also I'll try to aerate the water more.

I know it was “ mentioned in the title” but some people get mixed up. Just clarifying so we provide the correct help. Sigh! :cool:

Last edited:
I know it was “ mentioned in the title” but some people get mixed up. Just clarifying so we provide the correct help. Sigh! :cool:

Thanks - sorry if that came across as rude :)
To be honest, my nitrates are quite high - 15 ppm.
But I think that I can get them down along with the nitrites, I'll keep you all updated.

15 ppm nitrAte isn't too bad. The lowest you can get with just water changes is the level in your tap water.

15 ppm nitrAte isn't too bad. The lowest you can get with just water changes is the level in your tap water.

That's what I though at first, but today it has jumped to 30/40....

That’s quick to jump that much. Are you possibly feeding too much? I use to be guilty of that. Do 75% water changes until you get it down. 15ppm is still safe.

That’s quick to jump that much. Are you possibly feeding too much? I use to be guilty of that. Do 75% water changes until you get it down. 15ppm is still safe.

Thank you.
I feed about 2 times a day, my fish always seem hungry, but I'll stick to feeding less every time for now.

Most reactions

Back