Real Plants

sparky_555

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, how much care do real plants need? I think they look nicer than fake plants.
I've just bought a tank and wouldnt mind giving real plants a go, but just dont know what to do :blush:

Is there a special type of light needed?
Also, would pea gravel from builders merchants be ok to use in aquariums, i want my new tank to look as natural as possible, without using sand.

Is there a special type of light needed?
Also, would pea gravel from builders merchants be ok to use in aquariums, i want my new tank to look as natural as possible, without using sand.

you can get natural mixed gravel in bags from most lfs. Dont use the stuff from the builders merchants you dont know whats been mixed in with it and there may be chemicals that may pollute your tank. For a planted tank you need a small gravel size 1 - 3mm really as it makes it easier to anchor plants in and their roots grow through it more easily. My tank is a 10 gal with an 11w bulb which gives me just over one watt per gallon. This is considered low light level which does somewhat limit what you can grow. However, if you raise your light levels and go for a high light level tank you are more likely to get problems with algae, lack of nutrients etc. As long as you pick the right plants though you can easily grow a great looking tank with 1wpg. There's a link in my sig. for easy to grow plants:

Also, have a look thorugh jimboos 50gal cube diary here for inspiration for a low light level tank:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=116425

Also, pop down to the planted tanks forum as there are loads of really good pinned articles there as well.

Good luck

i started off with builders merchant 5m pea gravel give it a gave it a good wash and dropped it in the tank in the end i switched to sand but one of my smaller tanks still has pea gravel

yea i used gravel from a builders yard too, washed it and its been fine.

as for plants, i really hate this myth that there hard to have!

ive never even thought about extra lighting or co2 till i came here and my plants have always grown and alls i do is stick em in the gravel.

Most reactions

Back