Re-doing my 30g for Plants...

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the artificial look of my 30g. :/ So, I ordered a very special, and large peice of driftwood online from a proffessional driftwood retailer. This will be my centerpeice of my aquarium. I plan to grow THIS as a carpet in my 30g. I have some other plants in my tank too that tolerate low light. I have one question though. I've seen driftwood with moss growing on it and I'd really like to do that with my big peice I ordered. The java moss I see at my LFS comes in wads and doesn't look like it could grow from wood. I heard I could do this with java ferns also. How exactly do I grow this stuff from driftwood. Thanks.

EDIT: That's the tank below.

Its quite easy to "grow" them on driftwood. Just spread the moss over the wood thinly and tie it around with fishing thread about half an inch apart. After the moss grow, the thread will be covered.
Similarly to ferns, tie around the root to the wood just enough to secure it in place, but after a few weeks you can take out the thread as the ferns will eventually "rooted".

Thanks. I found a crevice in one peice of my wood and is tighty secured in the wood so, I didn't need string. As of rthe new peice I ordered, I'll most likely have to tice the plants on.

Most reactions

Back