Rate My Sand

Oh its just he has a sort of violet hue to his tail which looks like my similis cories. Caudimaculatus have more of a black tail?
Anyways I don't see a problem with the substrate. :good:

Are you sure they are julii? I had some and turns out they are trils :) If you do have breeding juliis I would love to buy some babies off you :)

Nah. We just bought them as julii's and they were so tiny that when we plopped them in, our lady betta Jasmine thought they were bloodworm. So we had to pop them in the breeding net until they get bigger. Just to make sure.

Really? It's just the pic further up with the similis cory makes the substrate look like small gravel to me. :unsure:

Nah, they're not filtering it through their gills. They do kick up a cloud when they're snuffling though.

As for being Caudimaculatus or Similis, the shop we went too has had Caudimaculatus for ages, but got Similis in very recently too. Cleverly, they put both together in the same tank, which makes picking them apart very difficult. We asked for Caudimaculatus, and I think that's what we got, from what I can see. My main concern was avoided though, and they're definitely all the same species that we got, not a mixture!

One day I might try and work out what Corys are actually in that tank!

Today I found some big cheap bags of silver sand at Swallow Aqauatics. Looks very fine, so that will probably do.

Nah. We just bought them as julii's and they were so tiny that when we plopped them in, our lady betta Jasmine thought they were bloodworm. So we had to pop them in the breeding net until they get bigger. Just to make sure.

ahh lol let me know how they turn out :) Julii are hard to get ahold of I've been told. All the once I've gotten have turn out to be trils :)

My betta thinks everything is food :p

Yeah, now you mention it, the 'Julii'' are Trilineatus, and the 'Caudimaculatus' are actually Similis :blush:

I can't imagine that you will have any problems with sand like that, however my corys love the finer sand which you can see in my signature (ignore the panda bear)

Cheers
Squid

I love the sig :D

You can get big bags of play sand at Argos for a few quid. 2 did my 4 foot tank at about an inch and a half deep, probably closer to two inches :) Its extreamly fine and a bit weird to wash, but at �3 or so for 15kg, its a deal!

Cheers.

and by the way, the sand in the sig is the Argos playsand too!

BTW
the definition of sand is
finely divided rock, comprising particles or granules ranging in size from 0.063 to 2 mm
any grain size above that is officially gravel.
that seems to be what you have in your tank, gravel not sand.

I can't imagine that you will have any problems with sand like that, however my corys love the finer sand which you can see in my signature (ignore the panda bear)

Cheers
Squid

You can get big bags of play sand at Argos for a few quid. 2 did my 4 foot tank at about an inch and a half deep, probably closer to two inches :) Its extreamly fine and a bit weird to wash, but at �3 or so for 15kg, its a deal!

Cheers.

Argos Sand Tanks UNITE! :p

Can I use that pic for my happy book online and offline? Will credit you :)

Cheers
Squid

Cheers.

Argos Sand Tanks UNITE! :p

Can I use that pic for my happy book online and offline? Will credit you :)

sure...

Most reactions

Back