Rasboras for Thirty Gallon

xxEMOxLIZZARDxx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondering if getting a group of 10-12 rasboras would work for my thirty gallon tank? I currently have about eight platies and about 8 mollies plus about six cory cats. And yes, I'm aware my water doesn't work for mollies and platies. I got them before I realized it. I do also have four plants in the tank as well that are putting off baby plants.

Water Parameters:
pH: 7.2-7.6 ( I can't tell the two blues apart very well)
GH: 0-25ppm
KH: 0-40ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Tank Equipment:
Two Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (rated for 45 gallons each)
Preset Thermometer at 78F
18" air bubbler

In terms of the fish numbers alone, you are already over the limit. Mollies get 3-4 inches, some sources report 5 and 6 inches.

But more importantly, your mollies definitely and most likely the platies too, are going to weaken and die. It won't be overnight, but they are being very seriously compromised by the lack of hard minerals in the water. Platies need 10-12 dH at minimum, mollies must have 15 dH or higher. I would rehome these poor fish ASAP.

In terms of the fish numbers alone, you are already over the limit. Mollies get 3-4 inches, some sources report 5 and 6 inches.

But more importantly, your mollies definitely and most likely the platies too, are going to weaken and die. It won't be overnight, but they are being very seriously compromised by the lack of hard minerals in the water. Platies need 10-12 dH at minimum, mollies must have 15 dH or higher. I would rehome these poor fish ASAP.
I will try to figure out the mollies and platies getting a new home. I know PetCo won't take them so I don't know what to do.

But would Rasboras work in my tank? Or even Tiger Barbs? I just need fish that produce a decent amount of poop.

I will try to figure out the mollies and platies getting a new home. I know PetCo won't take them so I don't know what to do.

But would Rasboras work in my tank? Or even Tiger Barbs? I just need fish that produce a decent amount of poop.

Once all livebearers are removed, the tank will support cyprinids depending upon species. Rasboras are one option, and there are a number of species suited to this tank size. Though it would help to know the length and width dimensions, rasboras are not "active" for the most part but this becomes more important if you consider barbs. In a basic 30g tank, with dimensions of 30 by 12 inches, a group of 15 Tiger Barbs would be good--but no other upper fish at all. Substrate fish are OK, all else being equal, but the inherent nature of Tiger Barbs excludes other upper fish unless the tank is larger.

Liveebearers are heavy waste fish by comparison because they are largely herbivorous and any animal eating vegetable matter needs more of it than a meat eater. Look at the largest dinosaurs, they were vegetarians, not carnivores which remained much smaller.

Once all livebearers are removed, the tank will support cyprinids depending upon species. Rasboras are one option, and there are a number of species suited to this tank size. Though it would help to know the length and width dimensions, rasboras are not "active" for the most part but this becomes more important if you consider barbs. In a basic 30g tank, with dimensions of 30 by 12 inches, a group of 15 Tiger Barbs would be good--but no other upper fish at all. Substrate fish are OK, all else being equal, but the inherent nature of Tiger Barbs excludes other upper fish unless the tank is larger.

Liveebearers are heavy waste fish by comparison because they are largely herbivorous and any animal eating vegetable matter needs more of it than a meat eater. Look at the largest dinosaurs, they were vegetarians, not carnivores which remained much smaller.
The tank dimensions at 36 long x 12 wide x 16 high

The tank dimensions at 36 long x 12 wide x 16 high

That's fine. You have literally hundreds of fish options. From the perspective solely of water parameters, any fish from South America and SE Asia are worth considering.

Would Tetras work as well? Or are they a hard water fish?

Any fish from South America and most from SE Asia are soft or very soft water, so yes, tetras are included.

In addition to water parameters being the same, some other considerations you need to keep in mind when selecting species is their level of activity. Sedate fish do not appreciate rambunctious swimmers charging around. Consider fish for each level of the water column...surface dwellers, mid-level and substrate level [the latter often need soft sand substrate, not gravel.] They may need chunks of wood. Floating plants. Stronger water current or almost none. And of course compatibility.

Any fish from South America and most from SE Asia are soft or very soft water, so yes, tetras are included.

In addition to water parameters being the same, some other considerations you need to keep in mind when selecting species is their level of activity. Sedate fish do not appreciate rambunctious swimmers charging around. Consider fish for each level of the water column...surface dwellers, mid-level and substrate level [the latter often need soft sand substrate, not gravel.] They may need chunks of wood. Floating plants. Stronger water current or almost none. And of course compatibility.
Okay. That is good to know. I think I'm mainly sticking with rasboras and barbs, but good to know tetras are also an option.

Are guppies a hardware fish as well or could I possibly (compatibility wise) include a few in the tank as well?

Okay. That is good to know. I think I'm mainly sticking with rasboras and barbs, but good to know tetras are also an option.

Are guppies a hardware fish as well or could I possibly (compatibility wise) include a few in the tank as well?

All livebearers are harder water fish, guppies probably can manage in softer water but there is no need when there is so much well suited. Having said that, a GH of 1 dH is way too soft anyway for even guppies.

All livebearers are harder water fish, guppies probably can manage in softer water but there is no need when there is so much well suited. Having said that, a GH of 1 dH is way too soft anyway for even guppies.
Okay. I'd was going to say I'd set up the twenty gallon for the guppies but my water doesn't allow that. (You can tell I'm drained from work).

Kind of wish I had more neutral water for fish. I love the livebearers.

Harlequin rasboras are lovely!
Beautiful, peaceful and no trouble in a community tank.
I love to watch them when I put the koralia on. They will all swim up to the flow, ride it the length of the tank, then race back to do it again.

If you are prepared to make your tap water harder, you could have that guppy-only tank. This means adding hard water minerals to the water before adding it to the tank at the same amount at every water change. It is more work than using straight tap water. Something like Rift Lake salts would harden the water for guppies.

Harlequin rasboras are lovely!
Beautiful, peaceful and no trouble in a community tank.
I love to watch them when I put the koralia on. They will all swim up to the flow, ride it the length of the tank, then race back to do it again.
I had them before and loved them. I do plan on adding some to the tank if I can find them though. I don't know why, but PetCo and local store don't have them that often.

If you are prepared to make your tap water harder, you could have that guppy-only tank. This means adding hard water minerals to the water before adding it to the tank at the same amount at every water change. It is more work than using straight tap water. Something like Rift Lake salts would harden the water for guppies.
I thought about it. I did very much think about it.

Also, I got weird information from the PetCo guy and local fish store guy. They seemed to think that even though I have super times five soft water, that the mollies and platies adapted to it. The local guy who took my fish even said they were super healthy for being in water they weren't suppose to be in.
Which reminds me next weekend I need to take the two fish I missed back to the shop.

Most reactions

Back