Rare Thick Lipped Gouramis?

Ldy-Icedragon

Reaction score
I visited the pet store and found these cuties, the pictures don't do them justice. I've never seen this color variant online or in stores before, have any of you? I fell in love with them on the spot, they're now happy in the 30 gallon and are playing with my 2 golden thick lips.

~Danielle

bicolors.jpg

bicolor2.jpg

I've never kept any personally...but I'd love too...I'd love to have just a 300G tank, and fit as many different kinds of gouramis as humanely possible...

Well now I'm confused I've looked them up everywhere online but haven't found any thick lips that look like this. However I have found juvenile Honey gouramis (colisa chuna) that look similar, especially in the back tail, they have a slight indent unlike my thick lips. Now I'm unsure what these little guys are, I guess the only way to tell is to wait for them to grow up and see if any mature honey gourami colors appear or if they max 2 inches, or if there are any experts here let me know. If they are true colisa chunas I'd love to go pick up somemore

0094.gif

A pic of a juvenile honey I found online

the scientific name of the orange thick lipped gourami is Colisa labiosa
they can reach 10cm but 8cm is average
a minimun tank of 24" with a capacity of 15-20 gallons is required.
they do best in a pH of 6-7.5 (6.8 is ideal) and a temp range of
72-82°F (22-28°C) .

They are suitable for community tanks; however they become aggressive during spawning. you know when they are ready to spawn by the huge bubble nest they will make. Females are duller in comparrison, with a white to silver belly.

HTH

Those fish look quite large in the pics. How big are they? Honeys only get to about 1.5". To identify c. labiosa, you can actualy just compare the lips. Thick-lips do actualy have thicker-looking lips than honeys. It's impossible to tell from the pictures but you should be able to if you can compare them in person and if they are relatively large. Labiosa also tends to have a more deeply forked tail and is thicker-bodied.

The pic is misleading, the guys in question are only about 1/2 inch big. Also my labiso's have fan-like tails, not forked ones. Here's a pic of one of my thick lips.

thick.jpg

P.S. As for the lips the new guys are too tiny to tell, their lips look like they do on my blue dwarf.

Ethos said:
I've never kept any personally...but I'd love too...I'd love to have just a 300G tank, and fit as many different kinds of gouramis as humanely possible...
[snapback]897324[/snapback]​
yeah me too, but i would swim in the tank :p B) :cool:

Most reactions

Back