Rapid Breathing

cedyced

Reaction score
Today I noticed that all the fish in my tank are breathing fast (like they are trying to catch their breath) I test my water and everything is good. The fish are swimming and eating normal. Any ideas???
I have two clowns, naso tang, and a yellow tang. 50lbs LR 2 xp3 filters.

Low oxygen levels & maybe high temp

What you using for Oxy. Exchange

I don't have anything except for what I stated... 50lbs LR 2 xp3 filters
What can I use for oxy exchange? Sorry for my igonorance but will running airstones help out with oxy? Is that what they are for?

My temp is higher than what it was. I just bought some new lights Thursday. I went from 45 watts to 350 watts. My temp is about 83 degrees

1stly - I would add about another 10kg/25lbs & also increase your flow rate

Your flow rate is also quite low - 2 x XP3 only turn out 700 gallons per hour (GPH) - which means your water is only being turned over 9 times per hour

This value should be around the 20x or 1600 GPH, this is very important to maintain the bacteria that colonise on your Live Rock

If for example you added a M1100/4400 lph Seio Superflow Pump Aimed at your surface this would :

A - Give you good gas exchange & introduce Oxygen in to your tank

B - Increase your overall flow rate to 23 x the tank volume

C - It will remove any scum from the surface

What Skimmer you using

What is your Tank readings - Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Specific Gravity,pH

You temp aint that bad, If you are having problems maintaining a decent temp then you may have to look into addin a chiller or a fan.

I aimed one of my jets at the surface last night and they seem to be doing a lot better already. I will invest in another pump. The only reason I went with those is because I have read this everwhere
[b](The optimum tank "turnover rate" is approximately 3 to 4 times per hour for saltwater fish-only tanks, 9 to 10 times per hour for saltwater reef tanks and 2 to 3 times for freshwater tanks)[/b]

I don't have a skimmer yet. I am going to get one this week sometime.

I aimed one of my jets at the surface last night and they seem to be doing a lot better already. I will invest in another pump. The only reason I went with those is because I have read this everwhere
[b](The optimum tank "turnover rate" is approximately 3 to 4 times per hour for saltwater fish-only tanks, 9 to 10 times per hour for saltwater reef tanks and 2 to 3 times for freshwater tanks)[/b]

I don't have a skimmer yet. I am going to get one this week sometime.

That info is way way wrong - what site did you get that from

Defo up your LR Qty & your Turnover

You will be amazed how much crap a skimmer pulls out of your tank

Thanks for providing that link

I cannot believe some of the info on there :crazy:

I have called 6 LFS here in Phoenix that specialize in SWF. They are all saying the same thing. They are saying 5-7 times for FOWLR and 10 times turnover for reef.....
Most websites that I am reading are saying the same thing. But they do say the more the better..
My fish are doing wonderfull since I pointed my jet towards the surface. A total 180.. :D

I'd say they all need a kick in the ass if that's the best advice they can give.

There are few things I hate more than a shop that supposedly specializes in a certain thing, only to give bull#### information.

Glad to hear the fish are doing better :good: would be a good investment to get more powerheads. :nod:

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back