Raising The Ph

tat2life

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guys/girls my water PH is around 8.0 maybe a little lower... any ideas how i can get it upto 8.2 or anything i need to buy wich will do that for me. cheers :good:

Easiest way is to just buffer it. Lfs will have it. It will raise your tank to 8.3 and keep it there.Wont allow it to go higher either.

but just in case, dont over dose :). Kalk really helped with my Ph, always at a constant 8.3 when i dripped 400 ml overnight in a 20 gallon tank. Unfortunately since my tank was so small the kalk burned my corals even if it was a slow drip and it caused too many problems which sorta crashed my tank (corals stayed close, flesh receded, skeleton showed, so far lost a feather duster and a ricordea).

Other people think kalk crashed my tank but i dont think it is.... Anyway i stopped using it just in case

ah kewl thanks guys. il see if the lfs has any tommorow. once i have the ph sorted i should be able to add some living rock. i did read that 7.9 upto 8.6 PH is fine though just not anything below 7.8'ish. still id like to have it around 8.2 or 8.3 just to be safe

If you have a calcium carbonate substrate, like aragonite sand, this will help a fair bit with the PH as it acts as a buffer itself. Also before doing water changes, prepare the new water about 48 hours or more in advance. Mix the salt and the RO water and aerate it with an airpump. This will help raise the level of dissolved oxygen and in turn raise the PH of the water.

Dont dose without first ruling out a CO2 problem. Test your pH in the morning when you wake up, and then again just before the lights go off. If CO2 is normal or high in the morning and then low at night, you've got a CO2 problem, solved by more powerheads breaking the surface of the water

Most reactions

Back