Raising Ph?

Fish Guy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my pH up for my Brichardi tank, but with no luck. I put a filter media bag of crushed coral in one of the filters but it still hasn't increased. Just wondering if their are anymore methods?

I think it would probably have to be a big bag to increase ph. You could use aragonite or crushed coral as a substrate? Or ocean rock as decoration?

What is the current pH?
What are you trying to get it to?

Crushed coral in the filter is one of the best methods, more effective than as a substrate because of the flow. If it still needs to go up it may be worth it to just get a proper buffer, one that will bring in to a specific pH, not just up or down. A powdered buffer will be easy and economical and you can figure out how much to add each eater change to keep it correct.

its not the best method, or healthiest, but it is easy to pour VERY SMALL amounts of baking soda in.

Baking is good if done properly. Measure the pH and KH daily and record them, as well as how much baking soda you add (Excel is a great option). This will help you determine how much is needed to keep the pH where you want it and eventually you can test less as you learn how the tanks reacts to different amounts.

I have beach sand as the substrate at the moment, so I'd rather go with the crushed coral in the filters. The pH in the tank was 7.4 and it didn't change since I put the coral in the filter. I don't mind getting a buffer from the LFS, I just tried the crushed coral first as I have a 30lbs bag of it left over from my marine tank.

no need to buy any buffers. The crushed coral will do the job just fine and at a safe and predictable rate (baking soda will change the pH (actually, the pH goes up in response to a change in KH) but the sudden change can cause fish loss). Read the article inked in my signature. It isn't tailored specifically to your situation, but the principles are still the same.

Most reactions

Back