Raising Frogspawn

dont tadpoles only eat algae?

i think the water may go bad if you have more than a handful and a filter will suck them up...i would just leave them in the pond..more chance of survival

Tadpoles/frogspawn belong in the wild. And yes, for the first few weeks of life they consume nothing but very small algaes. Something which an aquarium can't provide.

Just leave them.

Well, about your original question, I think tadpoles hatch within a few days but i don't know if it's the same with all breeds of frogs. And I think it has been said but tadpoles will probably eat algae and other microbes in the water. I don't think you need to feed them anything specific until they get big-enough to eat daphnia and micro worms. I did once hear about something called infusoria that you can feed them but I have never seen it before so i wouldn't count on using that. It's probably best to just leave them because that would be what would happen if they were living in the wild. Good luck! :good:

Is my cat going to be arrested for removing frog spawn from my pond and eating it? LOL

As a child I never had any real luck hatching and keeping frogspawn indoors. You can hatch the eggs but the frogpoles rarely reach maturity...indeed I never recall them doing so indoors. Best to leave them outside.

I currently have at least eight huge clumps of spawn and 17 frogs that I can see...many more no doubt hiding in the plants and folds of the pond liner and some are too deep in the water to be seen. Its a 4 foot deep pond and I was dredging the bottom with a net a week or so ago, picked up three frogs and some spawn right from the bottom that I couldn't see from the surface.

I do believe there may well be bylaws and laws about disturbing frogs, and certainly newts. We've always had frogs in the pond since my late father and I built it in 1989, but only last year did he spy a newt for the first time. In recent years due to disease some aras have had a dearth of frogs, so I believe the current advice is to encourage them to thrive wherever they are not affected by the disease. My pond is certainly a haven for frogs...and 7 koi :)

Most reactions

Back