Raising Frogspawn

joshjames

Fishaholic
Reaction score
didnt no where to post this and thought here would be the best place
my younger brother would like to put some frogspawn into a small tank and raise them until old enough and then release them back into the pond
we have set up a small tank with a few rocks above the water and filled it up with pond water it also has some pond weed in it
how long does it take the frog spawn to hatch and what should i feed them???

To be honest I would release them afterwards the eat small bugs and lava in the pond, I would also semi filtrate the tank to stop the water from going stagnent from the uneaten spawn.

ok i have a small filter spare i think so thats not a problem
so once they hatch what can i feed them in the tank??? will they eat crushed flakes or forzen bloodworm???
small snails???

Brine shrimp would be best you can setup your own little brine shrimp farm quite easily, after they have reached about 1cm+ in length then give them crushed goldfish flakes and some bloodworms, they do need a large area to fully developed. Where are you in the world, I haven't had any frogspawn so far this year and my pond is normally has 5 or more sets of eggs?Tadpoles are also good food for your fish......

The filter will be allright to use but put a pair of tights of the holes so they dont get there tails court in it, They thrive on fresh water. Basicaly to feed them boil lettuce for about 5 or 10 minutes then lay them flat in a freezer and once fully froozen break up into crumbs and feed them and becareful if you under feed them they eat each other. :)

its in my back garden so i can do what i want with it im not breaking the law :good:
im in kent but i havnt got any frog spawn yet im just planning in advance

Not always the case we get golden crested newts in our pond so we are not allowed to change the environment without permission from the council or catch them as a young child which ofcourse I have never done :shifty:

Ive read up on it and if you dont go mad like taking stupid amounts and you have the land owners permission its fine

Red leg or something but if you release them back into your pond i dont see the problem

i will leave pretty much all of it in the pond and only take out a small bit
if i ever thought i was damaging their chance of survival i would never do it or put them straight back

Most reactions

Back