raccoon

soma

Reaction score
My raccoon. His name is Gir, he was an orphan, 1 week old and helpless when I found him.

Now hes a bundle of mischeif.

girretard.jpg

Yeah, we're gonna have to keep him. Baby raccoons are usually found in the spring time, and when they are raised to be released in the wild, they are conditioned to living outside for 6 months until they are finally released. It will be winter time by the time he is 6 months old, and he will not be able to survive being that it would be his first venture into the wild. So I'm gonna keep him.

I think in most states it is illegal to keep a raccoon as a pet. *shhhh*

soma said:
I think in most states it is illegal to keep a raccoon as a pet. *shhhh*
Yes, I believe it is illegal to keep them as pets. Raccoons also carry many diseases, some of which can be transferred to humans, are very serious or even fatal, and are not treatable. Fatalaties have been reported, but are not common. Baby raccoons are often infected.

My suggestion is to call a wildlife rehabber or wildlife rehabilitation center near you and ask them to take the raccoon. You can look in your phone book for numbers, or go online and search for wildlife rehabilitation <state you're in>.

I worked at a wildlife center and we did not rehab raccoons because of the diseases they carry. If I remember correctly, raccoons, as well as skunks, can carry rabies without showing any signs of it. Raccoons are at a high risk for rabies and distemper.

I'm not trying to be judgemental of you. I just wanted to share information with you. I'm not going to turn you in for keeping a raccoon - don't worry :)

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

He's already been to the vet and has had rabies vaccinations. He has also been de-wormed.

He is so cute!

But i should mention...the massive fines you will have if you are caught without a permit for him...

Wow, that's very cool! A raccoon . . . :eek:

Have you looked into getting a permit for him or your neighborhood zoning law? I mean if people can keep tigers, why not a raccoon?

He's so CUTE!! :wub:

Are you going to release him back into the wild when he's old enough or are you going to keep him?

Sasha said:
He's so CUTE!! :wub:

Are you going to release him back into the wild when he's old enough or are you going to keep him?
Yeah, we're gonna have to keep him. Baby raccoons are usually found in the spring time, and when they are raised to be released in the wild, they are conditioned to living outside for 6 months until they are finally released. It will be winter time by the time he is 6 months old, and he will not be able to survive being that it would be his first venture into the wild. So I'm gonna keep him.

He's VERY mischeivous! Gets into EVERYTHING. He opens the cabinet doors, pulls everything out of them, then proceeds to open the refrigerator and tries to pull his food off the shelf. Knocks over the garbage can in the bathroom, and chews on everything.

He's best friends with my doberman, Lilo. They're constantly playing, and it's the cutest thing ever.

Most reactions

Back