R.I.P. Tomato

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I had a little red Endler's Livebearer named Tomato who unfortunately passed away tonight. I was cleaning my tank and I looked away from my gravel vacuum to fix a plant and I guess when I wasn't looking he got sucked into the bucket of dirty water. I had placed my filter media in the bucket so I didn't see him in the water underneath the sponges. When I was pouring the water into my sink I saw a tiny flash of red go by and I immediately plugged my sink drain. I didn't know if it was him or not so I ran back to my tank and he wasn't there. :( I immediately went to the sink and checked the drain and sink trap but he wasn't there. This is all my fault. I feel terrible for him and I'm really mad at myself right now. Rest in peace my little Endler. You will be deeply missed. :rip::-(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :( It's horrible when the sadness of a loss is accompanied by so much guilt as well. It's an easy mistake to make, and I'm not going to beat you up for not checking the bucket since I know you'll already be beating yourself up over that more than than anyone else ever could, and you'll be paranoid about checking buckets from now on. We've all done things that have killed fish, sadly, it's the worst part of the hobby, and it's so easy to do.

Mine was getting the wrong size filter sponge to cover the intake of my canister filter, and not replacing it when I knew it was a risk. The hole for the filter was too small, so it tore down the length of the sponge. I decided to bodge it by rubber banding it on, and putting the tiny gap in the sponge against the tank wall, planning to get a bigger sponge to replace it, but use that one for the time being so the canister was safe for when my first guppy fry were born. You can guess what happened next. My LFS didn't have the right kind of intake sponges, so I meant to measure the intake and order a new sponge, but got distracted with other things and baby fry, and didn't get around to doing it. It worked fine for a month or more, but one day I opened the canister to clean it, and found 13 fry in it :no: I'd put the intake back at some point or shifted it when cleaning so the gap wasn't against the tank wall properly. Many survived, somehow, but some didn't, and a couple of the ones I netting back out from the filter were clearly damaged and struggling to swim properly once back in the tank.:(

So much guilt. Procrastinating over a sponge that cost less than a pound killed some of my first baby fish. My dad tipped out a bucket of tankwater into the sink once that had a glowlight in it, and I found it in the sink, covered in bubbles. I panicked and rinsed the bubbles off and put it back into the tank, and it survived, but it also looked rough and never quite looked right after that. I'd place a bet that there isn't anyone in the hobby that has never made a mistake that has killed a fish. RIP Tomato, and hugs to you, @corylover5

This is an accident and you should not blame yourself. Although, I do understand the guilt feeling. How well you try to take care of your fish, an accident "can" always happen. Unfortunately, it happens overhere as well... no matter if it's an expensive or a low priced fish. Think of the joy Tomato brought you...

If you in the hobby for a while something has to happen...

I wanted to replace gravel in me 30 gallon because I wasn't sure if it contained anything that would change the water over time.
Watched a video about it and the next day made a plan to get it done...
I putted them all in a 5 gallon bucket (was about 20 fish) together with a sponge-filter from the tank.
Started changing the gravel, and because counting and fishing is a bad combo lost count half way and thought they where all in the bucket.
Still found 2 or 3 half way done with taking old gravel out which was no big deal so they also went into the bucket.
Everything else went smooth except for the ending, transferring them over back to the tank.
Still have no idea how it could happen but I found a fish behind the bucket on the floor.

I was thinking she was dead but no idea why, I putted her back in a cup with aquarium water.
Right at that moment you saw some movement, so I was thinking I was crazy but no she started to move.
She was already dried out with all white fuss over her body...
I had no cycled tank around and to bring her in a mini cycle woulda be even worse.
First tried a breeder box in the tank, she would only ride the plastic sides. (stressing out)
So I decided she would just join the 30 gallon, been watching her for a few hours until I decided it would be ok.

Next day when I woke up she was behind the sponge-filter, looked like someone had been nipping on her vins.
Directly putted her in a breeder box with a slow bubler to keep the water slowly moving.
Been hand feeding her for the last 3 days, twice a day, I was tankful she passed away how weird it sounds.
Every morning would look like she was doing better just to see at the evening nothing had changed and things seemed even worse.

Lessons learned, if you ever need a bucket for anything make sure it has a lid on it.
You can better take your time than to regret that you didn't do what you would have done if you had the time.
Never maintain an aquarium while in a rush!

P.s. take the sponges out, put them in a cup with aquarium water and rinse them off only at the end when you sure the bucket is empty of fish.
I also always use a flashlight just to take a quick peek in me buckets before emptying them out.

I'm sorry your fish passed away. :(

Whenever I empty I bucket now I plug the drain on my sink, check the bucket, pour the water in the sink, check the water for fish, and then unplug my sink.

Almost a year ago When I was changing from gravel to sand I took all my fish out and placed them in a bucket. I went to go get a lid for the bucket and when I came back a platy had jumped out of the bucket and landed on the floor. He wasn't moving and I thought he was dead. I quickly put him back in the bucket to see if he was still alive. To my surprise he started swimming. He is still alive and well to this day.

Most reactions

Back