R.i.p. Spudnick

aDcOoL

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I did a water change this morning, and Spudnick was looking a little bit better actually, looked like he got a little bit more of his colour back. I also replaced his filter, which was extremely dirty, guess that was my fault for not changing it regularly.

Anyway, went to my room a little while ago and noticed Spudnick wasn't moving, and it looked like he wasn't breathing. I wasn't absolutely sure, so I pulled out my turkey baster and just tapped the stones around his body for a few seconds, and he didn't budge, so I'm assuming he is dead.

It's pretty much my fault for not doing water changes as much as I should have, and not changing the filter as much as I should have. I hope he wasn't suffering when he was breathing heavily for a few days, but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Thank you very much for all the people that have helped me over the last year, with all my questions and concerns. He probably wouldn't have lasted as long as he has if it wasn't for you (just over a year).

Thats really sad, R.I.P Spudnick. I just got my first betta and this forum has helped me out alot.

Yeah. If I would have done more water changes, he probably would still be fine right now. :sad:

He might have been old, a girl I work with has a betta who lives like this:-
  • in a vase
  • no lid on
  • in the bathroom
  • fed on fish flakes
  • cleaned out when she remembers!

She has had him for 3 years!!!

it isnt fair!

Yeah. If I would have done more water changes, he probably would still be fine right now. :sad:

Maybe or maybe not. Some bettas can live through almost anything for years. Some live in immaculate tanks and catch some bug and die in 6 months. At least you cared about him and gave him someplace to live for whatever time he had. We can always beat ourselves up with the "what ifs" but there are no guarantees in life (with people or fish.) I hope you'll adopt another little aquatic friend in the future and then you can take everything you learned and be even more knowledgeable when it comes to raising him!

Most reactions

Back