Quiet Filter For A 28L Tank

L.M

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could advise me on finding a really quiet filter?

My tank is in my bedroom, and the filter i've currently got is quite noisy, its the Aqua One 101F (http://www.leedspetshops.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_173&products_id=582)

I'm not sure if its noise is due to a faulty product, or if it's just the model.

Could anyone recommend me a really quiet filter suitable for a 28 litre aquarium? (for under 20 quid if possible)

Thank you! :)

I run an interpet PF Mini on my 30l tank and that is noisy because it sits in a cradle which just transmits the vibration of the motor to the glass. I took mine off the cradle and just have it dangling by the mains cord and, because there's virtually no contact with the tank, it's pretty noiseless, just a small hum. Perhaps you could unsucker yours and do something similar. It is a little bit precarious though and you need to make sure you can't acidentally pull or knock it when it's unanchored.

In general these small filters are all built in china to a very low price and consequently they are noisy. Some people on this forum recommend the All Ponds small filters like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200L-H-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Submersible-Internal-Filter-All-Pond-Solutions-200IF-/18075209Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a15aa0b11 which are really cheap but I have no idea how their noise performance is. Perhaps someone will be along to let us know as I'd be interested to know too.

Then there's the good-old sponge filters which are driven by an air pump. The air pump can be completely silent if you get a good model like an Eheim but you will have the constant bubble noise. Personally I find this relaxing and love having it in my bedroom to fall asleep to.

Hello,
I use the eheim aquaball 2208 in my 35 litre aquarium which is also in my bedroom and it is completely silent. I cannot hear it working at all, even when I am in bed with no other noises. It is a great little filter that keeps the tank spotless, the only downside to it is that it isnt exactly inconspicuous ;) hope this helps :)

The eheim aquaball 2208 certainly seems to be very quiet but also has some drawbacks. See these reviews: http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_aquaball.php

Dennerle nano corner filter (eckfilter) is perfect for that size tank; triangular shaped so doesn't take up too much space in the tank and very quiet. I've got three in the bedroom, one of them has a very slight hum but the other two are pretty much silent.

My Aquaclear 50 hob filter is nearly silent except for an occasional trickle from the water flowing in the tank, however this is only present when the water level drops some from evaporation.

Another good one is Tetras Whisper EX series. had one of these in the past and it was quiet, however i think my Aquaclear is actually quieter.

Fluval canister filters are SILENT, my buddy has 2 (a 205 and a 405) and you can not hear a single thing running... very nice

My Aquaclear 50 hob filter is nearly silent except for an occasional trickle from the water flowing in the tank, however this is only present when the water level drops some from evaporation.

Another good one is Tetras Whisper EX series. had one of these in the past and it was quiet, however i think my Aquaclear is actually quieter.

Fluval canister filters are SILENT, my buddy has 2 (a 205 and a 405) and you can not hear a single thing running... very nice

I thought that ex's are loud...maybe because of a larger model....How about the original tetra whispers/top fins(note top fins don't have a biomedia so you have to buy a bio media for it)

Most reactions

Back