Quick question?

Kal-el

Reaction score
It seems like I have an algae problem in my ten gallon tank. I was thinking of getting either a cae or pleco? The question is which one should I get, I have 7 baby tiger barbs in it now?

A CAE is most definitley not an option and 7 Tiger Barbs in a 10 gallon tank is already pushing the stocking levels over the top - so I'm afraid you're a bit stuck there. You'll could try putting in a couple of Otos (if you have an ace cleaning regime and your tank is over filtrated), but really that's about it :/
What kind of algae are you struggling with ? I suggest you check out this very helpful pinned topic on algae before making any decisions.

Honestly, I would say neither. A CAE is too agressive, and will begin to eat the slime coat off of your barbs, killing them. The pleco will get too big for that tank. I would not add any more fish to your tank. It is already two times the general stocking rule (7 tiger barbs x 3" = 21", max is 10"). In addition to this, tiger barbs really need to be in a 30 gallon tank, because they are extremely active and very fast swimmers. Please save your money to buy your fish a larger tank. You can often find good deals on ebay.com. I've also found some good deals searching on www.craigslist.org.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
tttnjfttt said:
Honestly, I would say neither. A CAE is too agressive, and will begin to eat the slime coat off of your barbs, killing them. The pleco will get too big for that tank. I would not add any more fish to your tank. It is already two times the general stocking rule (7 tiger barbs x 3" = 21", max is 10"). In addition to this, tiger barbs really need to be in a 30 gallon tank, because they are extremely active and very fast swimmers. Please save your money to buy your fish a larger tank. You can often find good deals on ebay.com. I've also found some good deals searching on www.craigslist.org.
[snapback]876412[/snapback]​

I only plan on keeping the 7 baby tiger barbs in there until they are big enough to put in my 28 gallon with the adult fish. But until then, I would like to get rid of the algae in the tank.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The key is what type algae you have. Different fish eat different types of algae and if it's the dreaded blue green algae, nothing will eat it. I agree that you are overstocked (unless the fish are very small) and that may be the cause of the algae problem. How long are the lights on each day and do you have live or fake plants? What is your nitrate reading?

Edit: Yes CAE are that bad, especially when the get older and with flat bodied fish such as angels and gouramis.

Well it would help to deal with the algae problem instead of resorting to buying an extra fish :nod:
Don't use any chemicals - they tend to only work for as long as you use them and even some of the good recognised brans can cause more trouble and instability in a tank, than is worth. Do you have any real plants in the tank ? How long do you have your tank lights on for ? Does your tank get a lot of direct sunlight ?

bloozoo2 said:
Do you have any real plants in the tank ? How long do you have your tank lights on for ? Does your tank get a lot of direct sunlight ?
[snapback]876427[/snapback]​
Seems we think a lot alike. :lol:

rdd1952 said:
bloozoo2 said:
Do you have any real plants in the tank ? How long do you have your tank lights on for ? Does your tank get a lot of direct sunlight ?
[snapback]876427[/snapback]​
Seems we think a lot alike. :lol:
[snapback]876432[/snapback]​
:lol: absolutely :nod:
I'll leave this one over to you now ;)

Well the algae in my tank is directly from when I had it in another room that received direct sunlight. I tried scrubbing it off, but I only managed to get some off. My tanklights are on anywhere from 10-12 hours a day.
I don't have any plants at all in the tank. My nitrate reading is pretty much normal, as I change 20% of the water weekly.

If you don't have live plants, you could cut the lighting time down to just the hours you are home to view the tanks. There is enough ambient light during the day that the fish will be fine. Do you know what type algea it you have? Did you check the link that Bloozoo2 gave you? Is on on everything or just on the tank walls?

One thing that works on the blue green algae is a blackout period but that may be stressful on your fish. I have used that method a couple times on empty tanks and it works great. Just cover the tank completely so that it gets absolutely no light for 3 days. It should be totally clear of algae when you open it back up. A lot of people do that with fish and say they have no adverse effects.

Most reactions

Back