Quick question, as hurricane Harvey is close to flooding my family's house

PineappleSmells

Reaction score
I want to turn off and unplug everything to avoid any electronics getting destroyed, I just want to know if my internal filter and heater (specifically the filter and the bacterial colonies in it) will be ok left off in the water for a while. My tank is high up on top of a dresser and I don't believe it will reach that far, this is actually the first time we've been close to flooding before.

(There aren't any fish in the tank yet, thank goodness)

Turn everything off. Without fish in the tank you certainly do not need anything running. Bacteria does not die off that quickly, though there are factors to this, but that is nothing to worry about now.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you during this ordeal.

Byron.

*Update:

The water has not breached our home and the flood water is beginning to recede.

great news!!!
Thinking of everyone there.

Not so great update:

The dams were forced open and the electricity went out yesterday. We managed to find some generators to power the air unit and save the food in our fridge and freezer.

But now my planted tank has no light or filter running. And it's still in the nitrite phase of cycling (I'm not worried about the heater, it's already at the right temp)

Electricity came on for us a few days ago. My tank equipment and plants are fine, though honestly I feel like a terrible person for worrying about something many would find trivial during such a disaster. Perhaps I am subconsciously grasping for any sense of normalcy after what we've all been through. Water is receding in places but still high in others. Majority of people in and around my hometown have lost their homes and everything else. It will take a long time for things to go back to somewhat normal, but Harvey has left scars that may never fade.

In times of disaster, it's normal to find something you can focus your attention on. Having been through floods (and my current employment is in disaster relief) I can understand what you're going through. My uncle and aunt's place was flooded in 1974 and they still have flashbacks. Their daughter was flooded in 2011 and she's still getting over it (silly little things like remembering seeing their children's play equipment floating away struck the hardest, even though their house was virtually destroyed). I'd like to say it gets better, but it may take time. Just remember you're still alive, and I assume your family is alive and safe as well.

Most reactions

Back