Questions On Starting A Marine Tank

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've never had a marine/saltwater tank setup and was curious if it would be O.K. to start with dwarf seahorses, I've heard they weren't that hard to care for especially in a 5-10 gallon tank. Also how much on the average would it cost to set up a tank like this.
If this isn't a good idea what size tank and price range would it take to set up a nice marine tank, I've heard they are quite expensive + what is the best fish to start out with for nubbies.

If you want dwarf seahorses, make sure they're captive bread ;)

they will require feeding of newly hatched baby brine twice a day and are pretty hard to take care of, you wouldnt be abel to use liverock because of hydroids, and water quality would be an issue, they are far from a begginer fish

damsels are probably the best fish for starters, but many consequenses come with them.

my in-law has a pair of seahorses in a nano and they are super easy to keep. just feed a mixture of foods brine shrimp mysis rotifers etc they dont need newly hatch brine shrimp but dwarf seahorses might. they are quite hardy with water parameters from what I've been told. they should be kept in a species tank and because they only eat food that flies past very close to their mouth a small friendly cuc is sometimes needed to eat the uneaten food. i wouldn't even entertain buying a wild caught seahorse, theres no point when tank reared ones are so common. when you want to start looking and trying to grow their fry thats when things get tricky.

awesome link about seahorses - http://www.seahorse.org/

hrmm, how did you get your seahorses off live foods? most of the seahorses ive seen only eat live things :blink:
being tank reared i guess its what they were brought up on... just enrich it all with fish vits and garlic. still get live food every now and then just to mix their diet up.

Most reactions

Back