Questions about Peacock Gudgeons

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gamegurl564

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently decided to get some Peacock Gudgeons.
Pretty little things but this is my first time keeping them. They lived up to the rep of being picky eaters but on day 6 it looks like they are all eating.
My question is about the males. I am pretty sure I have 3 males and two females. It's hard to tell on the one. Is this going to create problems?
They are the only fish in a pretty heavily planted 29 gallon tank, the other residents are 4 Cory's.
Thanks

Hi,
I recently decided to get some Peacock Gudgeons.
Pretty little things but this is my first time keeping them. They lived up to the rep of being picky eaters but on day 6 it looks like they are all eating.
My question is about the males. I am pretty sure I have 3 males and two females. It's hard to tell on the one. Is this going to create problems?
They are the only fish in a pretty heavily planted 29 gallon tank, the other residents are 4 Cory's.
Thanks
What are the dimensions of the tank?

I have a tank with 2 males and 2 females, which isn't the best mix, but it's cause 2 of my females passed for unknown reasons.

If you send pictures I might be able to tell you the genders if your unsure.

There is bound to be a good amount of sparring and pheromone communication between the males that will stress them.
Usually you don't have to worry about sparring much, but since you have more males than females, this may cause an issue and I would try as a temporary solution adding more small/tight cave areas for the males.
Later on I would attempt getting 1-2 more females but that might be a tight fit in a 29g with the others.

On an unrelated note, I would try to bump up the corydoras to at least 5-7 in a group

The tank dimensions are 30.25 long x 19 high x 12.
I can get some pics of the gudgeons tomorrow.
Agreed about the Cory's, I lost one for unknown reasons and now have 3 females to one male. They tire him out, heh but they lay eggs pretty frequently.
They are on the list.
Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• IMG_20240115_153006.jpg
    IMG_20240115_153006.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 33
I added a piece of pvc pipe and am ordering a small cave as well. I have another piece of pipe I may put in but they are so slender they seem to like the driftwood for a hidey hole

April’s Tank of the Month contest will feature 17 to 30 gallon tanks. You should enter your tank in the contest.

Here is a pic of the Gudgeon I can't decide what sex it is.
Male or female?
Edit: added a second picture

Attachments

• m_f.jpg
    m_f.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 30
  • m_f1.jpg
    m_f1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back