Questions About Live Plants And Lighting

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am researching the types of plants I want and have a couple questions. Tank stats first
55gl
KH 4
pH 7.6
co2 injection
Lighting is a 4 bulb fluval. Right now it has all 54w, 2 10000K daylight, 1 actenic, and 1 ATI coral plus bulb. This tank used to be saltwater now its freshwater.
Substrate is a nutrient rich plant gavel mix for aquatic plants.

Here are my questions.
1. Should I change the bulbs? I want as much light output as possible. What bulbs should I get for that purpose?

2. In my research on certain plants, a lot of them say the pH range should be 6 to 7. Would my pH be too high for those plants? How adaptable are plants to pH? I'm sure that depends on the species.

3. When it says that they like moderate light, can you still have those plants in high lighting or is that a bad idea? I know that low light plants will melt in high lighting setups but are moderate light plants more adaptable to high light?

I want a carpeting plant like baby tears but I also want tall background plants and anubias nana. I know baby tears and most carpeting plants need the high lighting setups while I am finding that most background plants and anubias need moderate lighting.

If you want a lot of light for plants, chuck out the actinic, they do nothing for plants.

dont mess with the pH the plants will adapt to it, moderate light plants will do well in high light, if they are not you can always find a shaded spot under other plants / under hardscape the only plant i can think of which likes shade is UG (Utricularia graminifolia)

Most reactions

Back