!~question~!

clark

Reaction score
well my cichlid has been moving the gravel around in my tank the cichlid is about 5-6 inches and its coral peice bottom(large) the fish is putitng the coral in its mouth then piling it all around the tank....i moved all back evenly and it moves it all around again over night.....its a 25 gallon tank and lives alone and has bene alone for about 2 years.....what to do? :huh:

any help would be greatly apreachiated

well my cichlid has been moving the gravel around in my tank the cichlid is about 5-6 inches and its coral peice bottom(large) the fish is putitng the coral in its mouth then piling it all around the tank....i moved all back evenly and it moves it all around again over night.....its a 25 gallon tank and lives alone and has bene alone for about 2 years.....what to do? :huh:

any help would be greatly apreachiated

Most cichlids are diggers, so there really isn't anything you can do to stop him from digging. What kind of cichlid do you have?

i was thinkin midas but im not really to sure its grown fast and killed other fish in the tank a while back, its half white(upper) back is orange, ill get a pic soon as i get home form school tommorow.

i was thinkin midas but im not really to sure its grown fast and killed other fish in the tank a while back, its half white(upper) back is orange, ill get a pic soon as i get home form school tommorow.

That tank is far too small for a Midas cichlid. Midas' are very agressive and territorial and, like you found out, will kill everything that they don't like. I would definitely upgrade to a much bigger tank, a minimum of 55gl, if you were just keeping the Midas on it's own. There is also a possibility that it is a Red Devil, which look like Midas Cichlids with subtle differences, but much more agressive.

PS: Isn't there no school tomorrow because of MLK day? Just wondering...

MLK day i donno i live in canada.....how can i tell the difference between a red devil and a midas.....and yes i am currenty looking for a larger tank.

I would let him "dig" around.... Since he is the only fish in that tank he will get bored.... Intertainment is a must for fish to be happy.

claire

yea , try and get him a larger tank .

And don't plan on decorating it as you like , unless you want to be moving stuff everyday . :)

Most larger cichlids will dig , and move whatever they can , to where they want it .

Any decor , esp stacked rocks must be very secure [ or non existent in the tank ]for both of the above reasons .

Sounds like you have and interesting fish there . ;)

oooh yes......well heres the pic i promised....i donno if its midas or red devil and if anyone can tell me if its male or female that would be great and btw the fishs name is chub!

:lol:

Picture021.jpg

I'm not an expert at telling the difference between a Red Devil and a Midas, but I think it is a Midas, because Red Devils usually have huge lips, lol. B)

Most reactions

Back