Question About Using Slate In My Tank.

daleboy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a few rocks in my tank that I would like to replace with slate caves.
The question is that I have just been given a large sack of used roofing slates and would like to know if I can clean them up to use in my tank?
The plan is to cut them to needed sizes, get rid of sharp edges and then silicone them together to form a couple of small caves.
I will of course use aquarium silicone so I know thats safe.
That way it will give my fish places to explore and in the event of spawning fish should give fry some protection from being eaten.

Thanks in advance

I currently have a few rocks in my tank that I would like to replace with slate caves.
The question is that I have just been given a large sack of used roofing slates and would like to know if I can clean them up to use in my tank?
The plan is to cut them to needed sizes, get rid of sharp edges and then silicone them together to form a couple of small caves.
That way it will give my fish places to explore and in the event of spawning fish should give fry some protection from being eaten.

Thanks in advance

When I wanted to put in slate, I was told that roof tiles may not actually be pure slate, and may have had some kind of adhesive used on them.
Do you know if any of that has been used on your slate? If so, it's probably best not to use them just in case.
As for the actual slate itself, if you put some drops of vinegar on each piece, then you should be able to test if it's safe to put in. If it fizzes, don't put it in, if it doesn't, it should be okay. :good:

Thanks in advance

When I wanted to put in slate, I was told that roof tiles may not actually be pure slate, and may have had some kind of adhesive used on them.
Do you know if any of that has been used on your slate? If so, it's probably best not to use them just in case.
As for the actual slate itself, if you put some drops of vinegar on each piece, then you should be able to test if it's safe to put in. If it fizzes, don't put it in, if it doesn't, it should be okay. :good:

I cant be sure if they have been treated or not so I have decided not to use them.
Dont want to harm my fish for the sake of a few slates.

Caves and ledges look really cool, I used to have them in my cichlid tanks.

Thanks for the input.

I have made a slate wall with gaps/holes in, which i found at an old, now dis-used quarry. I just soaked them for a few days and built it up inside the tank. Hasnt done any harm in the months ive had them. Although i can't comment on roof slate.

I got given the bag of slate by my brother after he did a roofing job.
Talking to him I have now found out that he has put some in his tank over 2 months ago and they havent had any ill effects.
All he did was soak them in a bucket for a couple of days.

Will soak them for a few days and decide if I am prepared to take the chance.

Have some roofing slate myself and wondered how to get rid of the sharp edges b4 putting in a tank?

Slate is quite brittle, you could try using a file but shards will more than likely chip off, I wouldn't worry about it personally unless you're keeping something like a male Betta.

Its for a cichlid tank, tried chipping away some sharp edges but just create more.

Light sanding will buff down sharp edges on slate, but be sure to go with the grain, so to speak. If you sand perpendicularly across the edge of the slate, more will flake off. Light pressure with finer sandpaper and a bit of persistence does the trick.

I use old bangor blue roof slates in my tanks. I know these are true slate and not some manufactured thing.

I'm not sure about using anything other than proper slate so I cannot comment on that but if its the real deal then pour some vinegar on it, if its good then crack on.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back