Queen Arabesque?

alex_wrex

Reaction score
Just rescued this plec from my friends tank, he unfortunately does not heed good housekeeping tips very well! On further study I think it is a queen arabesque or maybe a leopard or possibly a marbled plec. It may look like a common from the pic but he paid 25 pound from a reputable shop. Any help in identification would be much appreciated

Attachments

• P4190104.jpg
    P4190104.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 37
I have one of those in my tank, it's a L260 - Queen Arabesque. They are lovely little pleco's. :D

He is in very good condition for the state of the tank i rescued him from. Forgot, how do you sex arabesques by the way?

He is in very good condition for the state of the tank i rescued him from. Forgot, how do you sex arabesques by the way?

Apparently when they come up the front of the glass you look at their belly. If it's white, it's a girl. If it's marbled, it's a boy. Males are slightly bigger, although females would be wider.
:D Hope this helps. Ours is a little boy. He took about 2 weeks before coming up to the glass, but now everytime he knows the food is coming, he's out, strutting his stuff, showing all the other fish how big his fins are. I don't think he really knows just how small he is. :lol: They are funny little pleco's. Good on you for rescuing him. :good:

Go to this link for pics and info http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loric...ancis/229_F.PHP

The easiest way to tell with any of the hypancistrus plecos is from the leading edge of the pectoral fin. If it is thick and furry then it is a male. If it is thinner then it is a female.

Bare in mind that Queen Arabesques are not really algae grazers and do best on a meatier diet. Mine feed on shelless prawns and hikari variety wafers.

Ben

Most reactions

Back