Quarantine & buying fish

Id like to buy this little fellow. Plecos are one of my favs since I was little and my dad had tanks. But his were huge.
This one i believe stays small, and doesn't mind harder water, so seems like a perfect match for me....love at first sight ❤
L204 Plecos are very cool fellows.

Their max length is only 5.5 inches, so nothing to worry about there. :good:

Here's a video to show how to set up and break down a quarantine tank when you need it using a bin:
This is great, thank you, very helpful. Will need to work out how to keep a pleco happy in it for 4 to 5 weeks. Feel sorry for them being stuck in a box for that long, but guess its needed to protect the others.

I do have a 30cm cube spare tank with pump and heater, but this looks a bigger option. ??

Whatever you use for the quarantine tank doesn't really matter to the fish, but you want to consider how well you can observe the fish from whatever container/tank you use. I personally don't find looking down on the fish through the surface of the water a very effective means of seeing if they have spots, clamped fins, or even if their color is good. During the quarantine process you need to observe the fish closely. In my opinion whatever you use for the tank needs to be clear enough on the sides to allow you to see the fish in detail.

Use the 30cm cube for the reasons given above by uberhoust. You can monitor the fish, maintain a clean environment and will not have to worry about plastic leaching chemicals/ reacting with medication or heat.

Yes I would like to use the cube glass tank, I was just worried as someone said it was too small?
My main tank is only 123L (80cm long) so I won't be buying any big fish.
I would prefer to use the glass one i already have. I think I will go with this option. Thanks ?

Remember your QT should be set up with the best conditions possible. So planted and decorated and a substrate base. If your fish get stressed they will get sick. So make your QT somewhere the fish could live permanently.

Remember your QT should be set up with the best conditions possible. So planted and decorated and a substrate base. If your fish get stressed they will get sick. So make your QT somewhere the fish could live permanently.
The tank had the Rosie barbs in it before i moved them to the bigger tank. So all set up as a proper fish tank already. Plants, cave, pump, heater, gravel. So I should be good to go. Thanks ? (although quite small)

Most reactions

Back