Python Tank Cleaner - Do You Have One?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

to be honest, most of the time you dont even need dechlor, but you put it in just incase. Just put it in either before you start, or while you are doing it.

What I've been doing is adding dechlorinator for my tank before pumping the new water in. I have a 30 gallon tank, so it's 1 pump for X number of gallons. Whatever this is for the whole tank, I just put it in.

For temp, you can adjust it first before you start pumping it into the tank. And even after, if the temp shifts, like a lot of faucets can do, you can go back to your sink and adjust it. I often err on the side of a little bit too cool than a little bit too warm, as I already keep my tank around 78-79 F. If your water changes are a small percentage each time like they should be, your temperature shift isn't going to be more than a degree or two. the fish won't mind and your heater will get things balanced out in no time.

mmmm, I'm gonna have to take a second look at one of these then :) Thanks for clarifying...

I guess the chlorine isn't an issue anyway assuming you all have healthy tanks, which I'm sure you do :)

What's the suction like on one of these? comparable to a standard siphon cleaner? I have smallish sized gravel ranging up to 4 inches in depth, I assume I can insert it into the gravel to the bottom of the tank and watch it clean - no messing?

Chlorine could well prove a problem in a high enough dose to the fish - after all any substance not naturally found is likely to cause distress at minimum.

In residential water supply however the dose may only have an effect on the bacteria in your filter which I would imagine will suffer considerably more then your fish but that's me speculating without evidence.

Personally I switch off the filter (and the tap on the hose), empty then refill the tank, add the dechlorinator, wait 15 minutes then start the filter again.

"What's the suction like on one of these? comparable to a standard siphon cleaner? "

I think the suction on a Python will depend entirely upon your faucet pressure. I've lived some places where the water fired out of my faucet like a canon, other places I've live it comes out rather weak. In my house now, I'd say my water pressure is average. For me the suction from the Python is absolutely perfect, as it's not really strong enough to suck up my sand, but it's strong enough to gently lift the waste off the surface of the sand. You can increase the sucking power by taking off the large plastic tube and just using the hose by itself.

In comparison to a normal siphon powered by gravity, I'd say the normal siphon is probably a little bit stronger. But again, this is dependent on water pressure from your faucet. You might find it's equal, lesser, or greater.

Does anyone have a Python tank cleaner that hooks up to your kitchen or bathroom faucet? The reviews on them seem pretty good, just wondering if any forum members care to share their thoughts. I'm tired of dealing with sucking on a tube and carrying buckets. I had brain surgery a few months ago too, so I shouldn't be carrying around 40-50 pound buckets of water anyway.

I have got one, its the best thing i did in terms of helping tank maintenance. However the company that was shipping them to the UK cant seem to get hold of the product anymore. I never carry buckets and the water changes are a doddle.

Anyone know who in the UK is selling this product now??

When refilling your tank with the Python gadget there is no declorinator being added except in the tank itself, is that really not a problem. Dechlorinator works fast but surely having chlorinated water enter the tank water is not best practise?

I first add dechlorinator, leave to circulate for half hour and then slowly fill the tank over 2-3 hours (my tank is 860 litres). I do 40-50% water changes weekly for the last two years using this method, less in winter (~25%) due to colder temps.

I'm still loving my 25' Python. Best ~$50 I've ever spent on my aquarium hobby hands down. I wished I'd done it sooner. I've never been faithful with weekly or even bi-weekly water changes as I used to do with buckets and sucking on a hose. Those days are long gone. I only have a 29gallon tank, but still, water changes take me under 15 minutes. And that includes taking the Python out, everything in between and wrapping it back up and putting it away. I thought about the DIY version, but we drop that amount of money easily on filters and other tank hardware, so why not spend it on a maintenance tool? The great thing is, it really does work exactly as advertised. I was definitely surprised. I thought it would be "alright" and possibly be a little leaky and annoying, but everything is top notch. The last month was the first month I can say I faithfully have done a water change.

Most reactions

Back