Putting Real Plants In Aquariums

SilverDollar_03

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just thinking of getting a 15 Gallon Tank for some Dwarf Puffers. Also, I wanted to put in some live plants, but dont know anything about them at all. Pretty much, I want all the info I can get on them! Thanks guys!

Real plants are great! I've never had a tank without some.

The only hassle I find with mine is that every 2 weeks or so I need to chop them back. I once left a tank for 2 months without cutting back my plants, but I finally had to because I could barely see my fish anymore and they were getting tangled in the leaves. :huh:

When i bought my plants they came in their little pots with the rock-wool they had been growing in. For the smaller plants i left some of the rock-wool on the roots then made a depression in the gravel, popped them in and then moved gravel over the top of the roots. With the bigger plants i just dug a hole and planted them as if it was out in the garden :D

Haven't lost a single plant or had any float away so i must be doing something right :)

I have two tanks with fine natural gravel, and one with sand. Didn't do anything special with any of the tanks but spread the substrate evenly, and stick the plants' roots into it.
:)

no u dont put soil..just stick the roots in to the gravel..No special skills are needed to put plants in the tank..anyone can do it

okay kool. hey, what about co2 levels. do you think there would be enough with 3 dwarf puffers? because i dont want to have to get into the whole injecting and testing for co2 thing

i dont think it's enough especially if you will stock it with plants..you can make a CO2 reactor but watch ur pH or ur CO2 levels the first time u put in coz i had a situation last night where my pH dropped from 7.4 to 6.0 in 4 hours after putting CO2..well, to be more accurate, measure ur CO2 levels and see if u need it or not... it should be 10-25 ppm , if im not mistaken

Most reactions

Back