Putting A Fluval Roma 90 Or 125 On A Dresser?

KCB

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've made the typical mistake of setting up a tank that I now see as too small and would really like to get a Fluval Roma 90 or 125, the only problem is will my dresser take the weight of it? My Fluval Edge is fine on the dresser, no bowing at all and I have it nicely positioned over the thick support in the middle, but the other tank would be significantly heavier and also longer.

This is the chest of drawers I have: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50214555/

I'm thinking that it won't be able to take roughly 90-125kg of weight in water + the tank + accessories and substrate, but please correct me if I'm wrong! Also, if it definitely won't stand the weight, would it be safe if I reinforced it with wooden beams inside the frame?

There's definitely no other place to put the tank, it's the dresser or no where :(.

Thanks in advance.

I have kept an Elite 95 on ikea furniture, it was a tv unit designed to hold 35kg. The unit held up well with no other support but I worried about it all the time. I did end up buying another tank with a stand because I became paranoid over any noise that seemed to come from the area of my tank.

As long as the opening and closing of the drawers doesn't disturb the fish in the tank too much, then it should be fine. :)

I wouldn't bother trying it, it's really not worth the risk, especially when you consider the fact your warranty will be completely void if something does happen.

Edit: There is also the fact that even if it is fine at first the cabinet may warp after a year or two.

I wouldn't bother trying it, it's really not worth the risk, especially when you consider the fact your warranty will be completely void if something does happen.

Edit: There is also the fact that even if it is fine at first the cabinet may warp after a year or two.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand tank anyway so warranty isn't a concern. Warping, however, is :(.

Second hand or brand new they all make the same sound when they collapse.

My 125l is on a non-fluval cabinet and it is fine, as long as there is sufficient contact with the floor to spread the weight (ie it isn't all concentrated on 4 feet or it may bow), it is supported from top to bottom and the surface that the tank is sitting on is large enough and well supported in enough places, it should be as sturdy as any of the chipboard cabinets that come with the tanks. The new fluval cabinets only make contact with the floor along the sides and via a small extra panel at the back, they are made out of the same stuff as any other flatpack furniture and they are designed specifically for the job.

The dresser sure looks very sturdy and doesn't have legs so the whole of the bottom is in contact with the floor. However, I think I would be devastated if I came home to a broken tank and dead fish :(.

Although you are possibly being too cautious, if you have a drill and some chipboard you can always strengthen the back to make sure it isn't going to warp.

I don't think I'll risk it. The whole thing is made from chipboard, I would trust it a lot more if it was solid wood. Guess the 46l will have to do
sad1.gif

You could also get a nice thick piece of plywood and paint it and cut it full length of the dresser to help support it more but its still a pretty big risk! i put a ten gal on a chipboard dresser and it only contacted the ends of the tank. nothing in the middle. stayed like that for a week and I got a stand to but it on. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back